[SOLVED] Not providing 144hz

hackusationzz

Commendable
Jan 2, 2019
I bought a Displayport to Dvi-D Dual Link active adapter for my acer gn246hl 144hz monitor, and my 2060 has displayports on it and an HDMI, I bought the dual link and plugged it all in and it still does not give me the 144hz, I just get a No signal on my screen can anyone help ? works on 120 and 100 hz but I get an on screen thing that says incorrect cable use dvi-d dual link able or something

Specs : 2060 6g
Ryzen 7 3700x
Mobo X570 Asus

Solution
I would put it down to the adapter being unreliable.

See section #0

Either settle for 120Hz, try your luck with another adapter or buy a new monitor. These adapters aren't cheap so hopefully you can return the adapter you bought for one that has been tested in the above guide.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I would put it down to the adapter being unreliable.

See section #0

Either settle for 120Hz, try your luck with another adapter or buy a new monitor. These adapters aren't cheap so hopefully you can return the adapter you bought for one that has been tested in the above guide.

Solution

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
From what I've read/been told DisplayPort has a native bandwidth of 240Hz at 1080p. Dvi cables can physically carry a minimum of 165Hz per link. It's the transmitters, not the receivers that stipulate the normal connection bandwidth, so with a 240Hz possible over both links, and a cable able to carry the signal, you'd get 120Hz per link as that's how the pins line up. Whether you get that out the other end is on the adapter is another story as it physically has rewrite the format as the formats used in dvi are different to DisplayPort. Which is why there are not any dvi-dp adapters, only dp-dvi.

As best as I can recall anyway. The output from the adapter is dual link capable, the monitor input is dual link capable, but using a single link cable, you'd be limited by cable bandwidth and pins, not source/receiver ability.

Reactions: boju
From what I've read/been told DisplayPort has a native bandwidth of 240Hz at 1080p. Dvi cables can physically carry a minimum of 165Hz per link. It's the transmitters, not the receivers that stipulate the normal connection bandwidth, so with a 240Hz possible over both links, and a cable able to carry the signal, you'd get 120Hz per link as that's how the pins line up. Whether you get that out the other end is on the adapter is another story as it physically has rewrite the format as the formats used in dvi are different to DisplayPort. Which is why there are not any dvi-dp adapters, only dp-dvi.

As best as I can recall anyway. The output from the adapter is dual link capable, the monitor input is dual link capable, but using a single link cable, you'd be limited by cable bandwidth and pins, not source/receiver ability.
Single-Link DVI operates at a maximum TMDS clock of 165 MHz, which means up to 165 Mpx/s (or 60 Hz at 1080p).

By specification, any format using more than 165 Mpx/s must be transmitted in dual-link mode. The maximum connection speed is not defined, and is simply the highest supported by both sides of the connection (typically 330 or 340 Mpx/s). If the cable is single-link it will limit the connection to 165 Mpx/s since it cannot carry the dual-link transmission required by higher formats. This can be circumvented in special circumstances as well (such as when transmitting in HDMI mode via an adapter).

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Source does, yes. Just as source in single-link mode, the maximum pixel clock frequency is 165 MHz that supports a maximum resolution of 2.75 megapixels. But thats the source. The output from the gpu/mobo/whatever. The cable is somewhat different. Single link maximum data rate including 8b/10b overhead is 4.95 Gbit/s @ 165 MHz. The cable can carry far greater bandwidth than source can supply. With the adapter, source is DP, which can handle 25.9Gbit/s @ 240 MHz after overhead.

Output will be restricted by the adapter, by encoding rate, not by an actual dvi output from a gpu.