Question Not reaching my full download speed.

killcount001

Commendable
May 19, 2020
My download speed is 30mb and upload of 3mb and i use a internet extender with an ethernet cable into my pc. But when i am actually downloading a game or anyhting i get download speeds of no more than 4 mb at most. Why is this and how can i fix this?

kanewolf

Titan
My download speed is 30mb and upload of 3mb and i use a internet extender with an ethernet cable into my pc. But when i am actually downloading a game or anyhting i get download speeds of no more than 4 mb at most. Why is this and how can i fix this?
An extender still uses a WIFI link to the router.
But, make sure of your units. Downloads are in megabytes MB, but your internet speed is megabits Mb. So a 4 MB/s download would be a 30+ Mb/s .

So you are going
cable modem to router wifi
Router wifi to extender wifi
Extender wifi to ethernet
Ethernet to computer

This is what is known as bridge mode. It acts as a bridge for your ethernet to get from one side of the house to another.

I would say your extender is much too far from the router and your signal is awful if this is the case.

Use wifi analyzer from vrem software to determine what your wifi signal strength is like

killcount001

Commendable
May 19, 2020
So you are going
cable modem to router wifi
Router wifi to extender wifi
Extender wifi to ethernet
Ethernet to computer

This is what is known as bridge mode. It acts as a bridge for your ethernet to get from one side of the house to another.

I would say your extender is much too far from the router and your signal is awful if this is the case.

Use wifi analyzer from vrem software to determine what your wifi signal strength is like
No, its not that far it is maybe 20 feet at most and the wifi test was done on the computer not what my provider says it is

No, its not that far it is maybe 20 feet at most and the wifi test was done on the computer not what my provider says it is

That is most curious.

Have you tried a machine to machine transfer test of a large file? (say a movie) That will test your internal network. High transfer internal rates, but low external transfer rates imply a service provider problem. Low internal transfer rates imply a router issue. (Maybe the extender has issues.) Radio signals on cheaper routers do have a tendency to "burn out" over time, And service provider hardware is absolute garbage quality wise. It's the equivalent of asking a rental car company for a vehicle, and getting a Gremlin or AMC Pacer.

Is your extender dual band? (2.4 & 5G) If you are dual band, go with the 5GHz and report back.

killcount001

Commendable
May 19, 2020
my router is running 5ghz so the extender is as well and also the router is fairly new so i dont think the problem lies in there. i feel it may be a setting on my computer