[SOLVED] Not really sure what is wrong...

icebearfan

Commendable
Mar 21, 2021
System specs(about 7 months old):
Cpu - ryzen 5 2600
Cooler - stock ryzen cooler
Motherboard - asus prime b450m - a
Gpu - Msi rx5500xt ventus 4gb
Ram - tforce delta 2x8gb 3200mhz
Psu - Seasonic s12III 550w
Ssd - Sandisk 240gb
Hdd - wdblue 1tb
Case - thermaltake versa h18 tg

So the issue is that my computer doesn't turn on and I can't pinpoint what the issue is.
The motherboard's rgb lights up but when i press the power button, the computer doesn't turn on, no reaction at all.
Troubleshooting steps that i did:
  1. I tried jumpstarting the psu with a paper clip, the fans spun which means the psu ain't bad. I swapped psu with my friend to confirm that the psu is working, it worked for him but my his psu didn't work on mine.
  2. I tried clearing the cmos, even changed the battery, still the same issue.
  3. I tried swapping the power switch and reset switch to confirm that the power button was not faulty, still nothing.
  4. i tried shorting the power switch pins to know if both of the case switches were faulty, still nothing.
  5. Took the motherboard out of the case and placed it on its original box in case the motherboard was getting shorted by the case, still nothing.
  6. Changed the extension wire that I was using, still nothing.
  7. Plugged directly to the outlet, still nothing.
  8. Changed the power cable of the psu, still nothing.

After a week i went to my friend's house and tried my system there and the pc booted. Everything was working. When i went home and tried using the computer again, it worked, played for like 5hrs then i turned it off. Next morning I had the same issue, motherboard was lighting up but the pc didn't POST. What could be the possible issue?
The only difference was that my friend had an avr/ups and i didnt.

Solution
You should keep the pc on power, if you take it off each time will capacitors need to recharge every time which isn't good, so if power in your country is stable enough keep the power on.

icebearfan

Commendable
Mar 21, 2021
Could be an issue with the electricity in your house or maybe the outlet, maybe try the pc on a different room?
I tried it on almost all the sockets in the house, same issue, motherboard rgb lights up but the system doesn't turn on. My brother also has a pc and works fine, i even tried it on the socket that he was using.

icebearfan

Commendable
Mar 21, 2021
Check the search option in the forum, there were quite a few people with the same problem "pc doesnt work in my home but work at friends house" its seems like a problem with eletricity in your home
I spent the whole afternoon reading about this problem in the forums and only saw 1 tho, will try to search again with those context thanks

icebearfan

Commendable
Mar 21, 2021
BTW, fans turning on when doing the PSU paperclip start does NOT prove a PSU is not bad; it merely proves it at least partially turns on and will spin fans if/when under no other load at all...

In other words...You've not yet eliminated the PSU from consideration....
I swapped psu with my friend and he tried my psu on his setup and i tried his psu on my setup.
My psu worked on his system and when i used his psu on my system the motherboard lit up but still didn't POST. Thanks for replying!

icebearfan

Commendable
Mar 21, 2021
Follow-up question:

When you tested the computer at your friends place, did you also used the same set of peripheral (mouse, keyboard, monitor, etc) ?

And was there any peripheral or components that wasn't connected at all ?
i tried it with no peripherals and it turned on at his house

icebearfan

Commendable
Mar 21, 2021
Update: my pc suddenly worked a week after and what i did was i never unplugged the power supply again, so like the motherboard light was always on. Idk if that's bad, i shut it down completely everytime i turn it off tho but so far it boots everytime i turn it on. I still dont know what caused the problem but i think the motherboard is still at fault and my theory is it doesnt discharge electricity well enough that's why it refuses to post.