Not recognizing New Hard Drive

Chipenstein

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
I'm trying to duct tape my wife's computer together for a bit longer. Here's the problem - it was continually looping to the startup screen, so I thought maybe it was a hard drive issue. I bought a new hard drive (Seagate ATA 80GB), set the jumper for master, and fired it up. I ran the hard drive install CD that came with the hard drive, then tried to install Windows Home. Windows Home says it can't find a hard drive to install to.

I built the system a couple years ago (Athlon Barton chip, 1 gig Corsair ram) but I'm not a techie at all. I did swap the RAM with the RAM from my computer (almost same exact specs as I built both systems within a few months of each other) and it didn't make any difference.

The system ran for a couple years just fine, until the looping issue and now this. Any suggestions on what to try next?

sturm

Splendid
Does the bios see the drive?
What hard drive install cd are you talking about? Hard drives dont need install cds. Only if your running a very very old system that must use a bios overlay to see large drives.

Get a windows me startup floppy and delete any partitions off the new drive. Dont make new partitions or format it.
Put the windows xp disk in and rerun the setup. Make the partition from within windows setup.