[SOLVED] Not satisfied after upgrading GPU

Apr 6, 2020
Hey all, first time posting here

I play mostly fps, but I also multi task quite a bit, music and video editing (for fun, never to publish). 1080p 144hz AOC G2460 and an ACER ips.

This is my current ITX build, and I got that 1660ti ITX today. Despite the upgrade I still feel like I expect more from what I have when I play games. I ran a benchmark test to see if I could get some clues and it seems the GPU is still the issue. I am now considering the 2060 but before I buy it I want to know if maybe that money should go elsewhere? Is there anything else I should upgrade instead of returning the 1660ti and getting a 2060? Or maybe I'm missing something with my current build? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Solution
Depending on the game, and levels of detail/physics calculations involved, the i5-8400 might not be capable of the minimum or even average FPS you desire in many of the newest blockbuster titles...

Certainly, the 1660Ti might not also be capable of driving many games at even at 1080P to consistently be at/near an FPS amount required for many 144 Hz refresh monitors...; CS:GO and Battlefield each differ vastly in GPU/CPU loading levels in multiplayer games, for instance, but the latter title pretty much requires a 2080 Super/2080Ti to maintain 144 fps minimums at high or Ultra quality...1080 or 2070/2060 might do it with reduced quality settings)
This is my current ITX build, and I got that 1660ti ITX today. Despite the upgrade I still feel like I expect more from what I have when I play games.
What graphics card did you have before?

Also, what games are you playing that you don't feel performance is good enough in? Do you have your settings lowered in the games, so that they may be running into the limits of your CPU more than your graphics card?

Depending on the game, and levels of detail/physics calculations involved, the i5-8400 might not be capable of the minimum or even average FPS you desire in many of the newest blockbuster titles...

Certainly, the 1660Ti might not also be capable of driving many games at even at 1080P to consistently be at/near an FPS amount required for many 144 Hz refresh monitors...; CS:GO and Battlefield each differ vastly in GPU/CPU loading levels in multiplayer games, for instance, but the latter title pretty much requires a 2080 Super/2080Ti to maintain 144 fps minimums at high or Ultra quality...1080 or 2070/2060 might do it with reduced quality settings)

Solution
Hey all, first time posting here

I play mostly fps, but I also multi task quite a bit, music and video editing (for fun, never to publish). 1080p 144hz AOC G2460 and an ACER ips.

This is my current ITX build, and I got that 1660ti ITX today. Despite the upgrade I still feel like I expect more from what I have when I play games. I ran a benchmark test to see if I could get some clues and it seems the GPU is still the issue. I am now considering the 2060 but before I buy it I want to know if maybe that money should go elsewhere? Is there anything else I should upgrade instead of returning the 1660ti and getting a 2060? Or maybe I'm missing something with my current build? Any help is greatly appreciated.

In my personal opinion, if anyone is even considering the 2060 as an option, they mine as well opt for the 2060 super.

I currently am running the 2060 super with the 3800x. Im seeing a minimum 1% of 140 fps in Apex Legends (competative settings, so mostly low with textures turned up, AA at max and Anostropic Filtering at 8x) and a max of 240 fps. Average is around 180-190fps. At 1080p.

The 2060 super, if you buy a factory OC varient, is quite a bit better than the normal 2060, for only like 50-70$ more. And on TOP of the factory OC your likely to be able to do a smaller CLOCK OC along with a full memory oc (as factories dont OC memory). So you would basically have a 2070 for the price of a 2060 super.

WITH THAT SAID.... If you dont care about ray tracing, the 5700xt is about 100$ less than the 2060s, and performs roughly 10-20% better depending on the game. And thats a substantial amount. The trade off is that you dont get ray tracing (which the 2060, and 2060s are probably the worst options for RT) and the AMD Drivers, although "supposidly" fixed now, are known to have more issues than the Nvidia drivers. Also, unless getting a 3rd party 2 fan/ 3 fan model, your looking at louder cooler as the 5700xt is harder to cool because it has a higher TDP.

Also, what is your CPU? You would need a decent enough cpu to push the frames to the 2060s, or 5700xt if you ended up choosing to go for it. Also what is your PSU brand/make/model ?

Your mobo brand and model would be helpful as well.

Apr 6, 2020
In my personal opinion, if anyone is even considering the 2060 as an option, they mine as well opt for the 2060 super.

I currently am running the 2060 super with the 3800x. Im seeing a minimum 1% of 140 fps in Apex Legends (competative settings, so mostly low with textures turned up, AA at max and Anostropic Filtering at 8x) and a max of 240 fps. Average is around 180-190fps. At 1080p.

The 2060 super, if you buy a factory OC varient, is quite a bit better than the normal 2060, for only like 50-70$ more. And on TOP of the factory OC your likely to be able to do a smaller CLOCK OC along with a full memory oc (as factories dont OC memory). So you would basically have a 2070 for the price of a 2060 super.

WITH THAT SAID.... If you dont care about ray tracing, the 5700xt is about 100$ less than the 2060s, and performs roughly 10-20% better depending on the game. And thats a substantial amount. The trade off is that you dont get ray tracing (which the 2060, and 2060s are probably the worst options for RT) and the AMD Drivers, although "supposidly" fixed now, are known to have more issues than the Nvidia drivers. Also, unless getting a 3rd party 2 fan/ 3 fan model, your looking at louder cooler as the 5700xt is harder to cool because it has a higher TDP.

Also, what is your CPU? You would need a decent enough cpu to push the frames to the 2060s, or 5700xt if you ended up choosing to go for it. Also what is your PSU brand/make/model ?

Your mobo brand and model would be helpful as well.

Hey, I really appreciate your answer friend. I should have added I live in scandiavia where prices are chaotic. I got the 1660 ti for €265. But there was a deal on the asus rtx 2060 super today so I got it for €386 down from €467. I will be returning the 1660ti. Do you think my i5 8400 2.80 will handle this though or do I need to consider getting a new CPU as well?

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2020
71.5% vs 74%, that not much
make and model of the psu?
cpu/gpu temp?
ram/ssd/hdd usage?

Hi thanks for replying. For some reason the asus rtx 2060 super just went on a hefty sale so I just bought that and will be returning the 1660ti. I live in Scandinavia and prices here are really weird.. Do you think my i5-8400 2.80 will do okay with the 2060 super or should i start thinking about a new cpu as well?

Hey, I really appreciate your answer friend. I should have added I live in scandiavia where prices are chaotic. I got the 1660 ti for €265. But there was a deal on the asus rtx 2060 super today so I got it for €386 down from €467. I will be returning the 1660ti. Do you think my i5 8400 2.80 will handle this though or do I need to consider getting a new CPU as well?

Sorry editing my comment. I made a mistake I thought that was a quad core cpu. Its a 6 core cpu. It should be perfectly fine for the 2060s at 1080p. However if looking to squeeze out every bit of performance, I would consider a cpu upgrade in the future.

Reactions: spunc