Not seeing NEW SAMSUN 850 SSD in Disk Management, but seeing it in Device Manager. How do I get windows to recognize my drive?

Kris_Sea

Commendable
May 4, 2016
I installed my internal 500GB Samsung 850 SSD. Device Manager lists it as working properly under Disk Drives. But when opening Disk Managment, I do not see an unallocated drive like I expected to. It is nowhere to be seen. What do I need to do to get Disk Managment to recognize it so I can format it and mount it???

Solution
Welcome to the community, Kris!

I'd suggest you Rescan Disks in Disk Management and see if that will make your new SSD pop up. Another thing you could do is reseat the connections to the drive and even try plugging it with a different SATA cable on a different SATA port.
You might also want to check if it will get recognized by the SSD's brand-specific utility where you can also check if the firmware is up-to-date.

Hope this helps. Keep me posted! :)
SuperSoph_WD
Welcome to the community, Kris!

I'd suggest you Rescan Disks in Disk Management and see if that will make your new SSD pop up. Another thing you could do is reseat the connections to the drive and even try plugging it with a different SATA cable on a different SATA port.
You might also want to check if it will get recognized by the SSD's brand-specific utility where you can also check if the firmware is up-to-date.

Hope this helps. Keep me posted! :)
SuperSoph_WD

Solution