Not so potato build

Spoon1675

Commendable
Apr 18, 2019
So i've had a prebuilt PC for starters for a year now and I think its finally time to upgrade but being new to the PC scene I have no clue where to start.

Of course i know to go for Motherboard, CPU, and GPU with some ram or an SSD thrown in and I have some Ideas but nothing clear what to go with. Also im not trying to overclock my rig

Upgrade list:
CPU: I was thinking an i5 9th or 8th gen, something that is lower in price yet will get the job done, or an i7 low budget kinda, a recommendation would be much appreciated and a clear idea
GPU: GTX 1060, and im pretty set on it
Motherboard: This is the area I need some help on, (as well as CPU) I had a Z390 Plus in mind but im not sure my AIO cooler(h100i v2) will fit with it, and im not sure if its good for the job but its a solid price
(I have a solid case I think so im fine there)

So my question is; What is a good recommendation for CPU, and Motherboard that can fit my cooler and not break the bank, my price range I would say could be 750 to 850 and i can go a little higher if needed to like 900
Thanks for helping this Caveman not be so potato :)

Last edited:

Spoon1675

Commendable
Apr 18, 2019
Please list your system specs as your system is now.
CPU
GPU
MB
PSU etc
RIght now its
CPU: AMD FX 6300
GPU: Amd RX 560
MB: M5A78L-M PLUS/USB3
PSU: I haven't had a clear look at mine, and with prebuilt it never stated clearly, I would guess about a 500 or 450, But, I did buy a 600w EVGA one a little while ago because I had plans to upgrade but they fell out
1tb Hard drive
8gb Ram

Last edited:
I think your current CPU will run a GTX 1060 great.

You could just upgrade the GPU.

....but I would use the 600 watt Corsair you bought.....because I think it is probably of better quality than what you have.

They generally put really crappy PSUs in prebuilts unless you specify something special.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Looking up your AIO indicates that it fits all the major sockets. It likely came with a variety of adapters for the purpose. The big thing there will be to determine if your case has the room for it, or to add one that will to your budget.

If you have a Microcenter nearby they are running an amazing sale on the 8400 along with $30 off a compatible motherboard. I have seen better prices for RAM on Newegg, and 1060's as low as ~150 there as well. The EVGA you have should be more than enough. Your budget should have some left over on those specs, or room to move up to a better CPU.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Out of curiosity, what is your monitor's resolution and refresh rate?
And, does it have FreeSync, GSync, or neither?

I guess also important is whether you're going to stick with your current monitor for the foreseeable future, or if you have plans to upgrade it.

Spoon1675

Commendable
Apr 18, 2019
Out of curiosity, what is your monitor's resolution and refresh rate?
And, does it have FreeSync, GSync, or neither?

I guess also important is whether you're going to stick with your current monitor for the foreseeable future, or if you have plans to upgrade it.
I have two Spectre E27 LED 27" 1920x1080 monitos

GPU: GTX 1060, and im pretty set on it
You might also want to consider Nvidia's newer cards that they have been releasing recently, like the GTX 1660, which is around 20% faster than a 1060 6GB on average, with prices starting around $220 (in the US), not much more than the least expensive 1060 6GB cards.

Also note that the 3GB version of the 1060 also has 10% of its cores disabled, making it around 10% slower than the 6GB version of the card even when the limited VRAM doesn't come into play.

Reactions: WildCard999

Spoon1675

Commendable
Apr 18, 2019
Looking up your AIO indicates that it fits all the major sockets. It likely came with a variety of adapters for the purpose. The big thing there will be to determine if your case has the room for it, or to add one that will to your budget.

If you have a Microcenter nearby they are running an amazing sale on the 8400 along with $30 off a compatible motherboard. I have seen better prices for RAM on Newegg, and 1060's as low as ~150 there as well. The EVGA you have should be more than enough. Your budget should have some left over on those specs, or room to move up to a better CPU.
It did come with 2 brackets for AMD and Intel, and I do have about 100 put in for another case, which would make things less cramped but im not experienced enough to move all my components over with the RGB strips I have in

Spoon1675

Commendable
Apr 18, 2019
You might also want to consider Nvidia's newer cards that they have been releasing recently, like the GTX 1660, which is around 20% faster than a 1060 6GB on average, with prices starting around $220 (in the US), not much more than the least expensive 1060 6GB cards.

Also note that the 3GB version of the 1060 also has 10% of its cores disabled, making it around 10% slower than the 6GB version of the card even when the limited VRAM doesn't come into play.
Most of my friends recommended a 1060 6gb but ill take a look at the new ones released thank you

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
It did come with 2 brackets for AMD and Intel, and I do have about 100 put in for another case, which would make things less cramped but im not experienced enough to move all my components over with the RGB strips I have in

I wouldn't be too concerned about the RGB strips, they are pretty straight forward. Some of them connect to your mobo (if equipped with headers for) and many have a hub/controller that powers from another source like molex connector. A lot of times they are "attached" with magnets or sticky tape.
Biggest thing would be just to pay attention and note how it's put together before disassembly.

Something else of note...an AIO will likely be overkill for a locked processor, however it may cause a budget issue moving up to a K and chipset that can work with it. Something to pay attention to.

Spoon1675

Commendable
Apr 18, 2019
What are your intentions? What games are you trying to play? How much are you wanting to futureproof?
I've been trying to get a VR rig for quite some time, I mostly play Overwatch and Garry's Mod and some Arma here and there, But I bought a VR headset and realized I dont have the right stuff so I wanted to work on it