[SOLVED] Not sure how orthodox this idea is.

RihaanShim

Commendable
Apr 6, 2020
rsfics.com
So, I got a Hyte 3 Revolt PC Case for a mini-ITX project, my first build in a small space. My first build was a work of art IMO, and it only got better with time, but I'm worried about the small space - most notably, the limited airflow.

I hear the airflow is 'decent', and what I currently want in there doesn't concern me when it comes to temps, but I'm concerned about the exhaust options, or the lack of (especially if I upgrade in the future).

I have a 280mm AIO, that I'll put in the front. From what I've seen in videos, there isn't much space for any other fans. 2x140 fans. The way I see it, and this seems like a crazy idea that just might work, is to have one fan pulling the air in, and one fan pushing it back out. They're right next to each other, so the animation in my head is the fan sucking air and blowing it right back out, but the case is so small, that it should work.

What do you think? Have you done that before? Same side of the radiator (of course), but one fan on backwards, intentionally. It's a difficult phrase to google, but that's my solution for exhaust. Thoughts?

the biggest problem with this setup is that the cooler intake air does not affect any of the interior components.

cooler air pulls in and is immediately ejected.

the whole point of active air cooling is that the cooler air passes by heat producing components and is then exhausted in a continuous cycle.

RihaanShim

Commendable
Apr 6, 2020
rsfics.com
the biggest problem with this setup is that the cooler intake air does not affect any of the interior components.

cooler air pulls in and is immediately ejected.

the whole point of active air cooling is that the cooler air passes by heat producing components and is then exhausted in a continuous cycle.
I figured. I thought the small form factor of the case would make it somewhat viable, but yeah, it's just too darn close, isn't it?

What would be the best option? Pure exhaust, or intake? I'm leaning towards intake.

Worst case scenario, I'll stuff a 120mm at the top somewhere, like I saw in a video once.

RihaanShim

Commendable
Apr 6, 2020
rsfics.com
So, when using
you need at least a slightly positive air pressure.

so if using a 240mm radiator as intake,
at least a 120 or 140mm exhaust fan on the opposing side of the case.
So, I have 280mm, so I definitely want to use the 140mm fan as my exhaust, preferably on the opposite side, or anywhere that gets the air to transfer from one side to the other. Honestly, I might even have to mount the fan outside the case, but I'm not that desperate. I'll check the temps when I build it.

Thank you for the advice, you gave me a lot to think about. I'll be building it next Friday on stream, so we'll see how it goes!
/Answered.

Reactions: JohnBonhamsGhost

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It's SFF. Exhaust is iffy there because there's no volume inside the case for any real flow. My pc has Zero exhaust fans, doesn't require them. I have 4x intakes, exhaust is by natural thermal convection. Hot air rises up and out, the intakes help that by supplying higher pressure in the case.

Your average 120mm fan can completely exchange the volume of air in an ATX standard case in approximately 2 minutes. In a SFF case, that's a quarter or less of ATX volume, you are talking seconds.

AIO as intake, airflow is a redundant thought. Just needs someplace for the air to go, won't affect cpu temps. It's the gpu that requires air, so depending on its placement, a rear fan at exhaust may or may not help.

Can also flip the fans on the aio, use them in pull config, that'll hit the gpu with air directly, not diffused by the radiator, and is more efficient at cpu cooling at lower rpm.

TRENDING THREADS