[SOLVED] Not sure how to explain...

SPECOPS70

Honorable
Nov 29, 2018
Hello.

OK. I just got 3 sceptre 32 inch monitors (c32). They look and game amazing!!! I have noticed though that every time i put the pc to sleep and wake it up later on the windows are in different monitors. example I usually have google on the left screen, game apps on the main and middle screen, outlook and others on the left screen and oculus on my fourth screen (not a sceptre). But when I awaken the pc the windows are all on other monitors. why? so then i have to move them back. in display settings when i identify them this is the order, 3, 2, 1, 4. 2 is the middle one and main one. thx

Solution
In my experience, for reasons unknown, windows resets (read as disconnect, reconnect) displays each time they are turned on and/or windows wakes from sleep.
meaning, windows will stay where they are if you turn displays off but WILL reset back to main screen (number 1) once you power them on or disconnect display cable.

why? I don't know. it could be a feature displays have or feature windows has.
However, connecting display with HDMI seems to allow it to remember which window was on which screen. (It will reset their positions on power-on but it will put them back to their places right after)

so... it's either display hardware/software thing or... Windows thing. (why is hdmi handled differently?)
That is my research on the subject...

Ralston18

Titan
How do you put the PC to sleep?

How do you arrange/rearrange apps to monitors?

GPU Control Panel, some third party utility/tool, some specific app?

Start by turning off all power savers/ sleep etc..

Do you use "WIN" + "P" at all? [Opens the PROJECT menu.]

SPECOPS70

Honorable
Nov 29, 2018
i do it manually through pc.
i like to use google on my left screen. i use steam and blizzard on main display (middle). I use the right display for afterburner and other game apps. and lastly the far right side i use the oculus app on it. i drag the apps around with my mouse.
no. just nvidia gerforce experience for drivers when needed. and the nvidia control panel which is closed unless i open it. no third party app. well i sometimes use gpuz but not often.
no i do not use win p.
thx

In my experience, for reasons unknown, windows resets (read as disconnect, reconnect) displays each time they are turned on and/or windows wakes from sleep.
meaning, windows will stay where they are if you turn displays off but WILL reset back to main screen (number 1) once you power them on or disconnect display cable.

why? I don't know. it could be a feature displays have or feature windows has.
However, connecting display with HDMI seems to allow it to remember which window was on which screen. (It will reset their positions on power-on but it will put them back to their places right after)

so... it's either display hardware/software thing or... Windows thing. (why is hdmi handled differently?)
That is my research on the subject for reasons that I don't own GPU with more than one HDMI out and don't have more monitors than one with HDMI in.

Supposedly, Windows 11 has a checkbox setting for remembering all this in display options. (I am still on windows 10)
and the registry key that it toggles, which does not work on windows 10.
that means it is wholly windows based feature, meaning you would need to use 3rd party tools for the job, which I don't use.. I still drag windows between my two monitors.

Reactions: SPECOPS70
Solution