Not sure how to set up my 5.1 home theater system to my PC

mpedzi03

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
Hello,

I will get right to the point fellas and ladies. I am trying to settup my Vizio 5.1 home theater system to my PC;

Components:

Gigabyte G1.Guerilla motherboard
i-7 960 Central processing unit

I have an optical cable and have connected my sound bar to the optical connection to the motherboard, but I'm not seeing anywhere on my PC that says 5.1 optical connection or anything? I'm am so lost in my 1rst world problem that I have anxiety. Really, though if anyone has any tips please let me know. Oh, and if this is about a sound card or something like that, what the heck? This was an expensive gaming motherboard, I would assume that it has something built into it! Thank you all in advance for loving advice.

-Mishoo

ish416

Honorable
Jul 5, 2012
On Windows 7, go to control panel (select classic view)/sound/look for spdif or optical and select set as default.

Sometimes you will only be getting 2.0 or 2.1 sound out of it, depending on your receiver.

te100

Distinguished
open the HD Audio Manager (control panel or it should pop up when you plug optical cable in)and click on the optical icon on the right click on default format tab and set it to 5.1. I also have the vizio sounbar do you have it set up for 5.1. should be a blue and orange light on sound bar( it is the one with the wireless sub?)

mpedzi03

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011

It is the one with the wireless sub. It came with the sound bar, wireless sub, and two satellite speakers that connect to the sub. I am not sure how to set it up for 5.1 sound? There is only an orange light on both the sound bar and sub to show that they are synced together.

mpedzi03

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011

Dude. If you near me right now I would kiss you. Thank you Thank you a million times, I have no idea how I missed that button.... Thank you.

DsmithBFL

Honorable
Aug 22, 2013
Stay away from confusion. Consult a professional home theater installer. He will add good quality 5.1 home theater system to your personal computer. Now, to make your living space feel like a real theater, get well-designed home theater seating.