• Hey there, Guest! Share your idea for a new trophy in the forums and win bragging rights and a $100 Amazon gift card! Check out the New Community Trophy Contest here!
  • Pardon our dust as we work on some regularly scheduled forum maintenance. You may notice some missing features during this time. Thank you for your patience!

Not Sure if I Can Ground Myself With My Case.

Patflute

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012
286
0
10,810
13
I have the Cooler Master 430 and I think the whole case is painted. This is a dumb question, but is there any part of the case that is metal?

I would rather not destroy something expensive...

I don't want to buy an anti-static strap, but if I must I must...
 

HEXiT

Champion
Herald
if you have a radiator in the house touch the case and the copper pipe that leads to the radiator. but really in most modern houses theres no need to do it unless you have nylon clothing on or a nylon carpet. as both will produce static electricity... just touching the case whether its painted or not you will still earth you as long as the pc is plunged into the wall... more often than not paint will have metal flecks. which is enough to get rid of any residual current your carrying.



 

Patflute

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012
286
0
10,810
13
Is there any easy tests using home materials that I can do to see if I'm grounded after touching something? I do have carpets, but they're really flat and I don't think they conduct electricity that much considering I don't recall getting shocked very often.

I think I'm worrying too much.
 

GI_JONES

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2006
829
0
19,060
45
touching the metal case will discharge static on you even if the case is painted. Think about times you have touched something and felt a shock..its usually a person or a painted metal object..(there arent many bare metal objects in a household setting) and yes you are worrying too much
 

hushinimi

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
176
0
18,690
3
yes, don't worry... the only thing I could think that will ground you
is the back part of the computer , where the PSU is located,
(note: this is base on my experience)

when the computer is turned on, I don't even get shocked at all,
when the computer is turned off (all of the components are plugged in) I get shocked lol...

when the computer is unplugged, it doesn't seem to give me any shocks ...

all of us have different experience so... meaning to say I don't guarantee you'll have the same experience...

remember... don't worry to much about it ;)
 

Similar threads