[SOLVED] Not sure if I damaged my GPU PCIe pins.

fernandolloretb

Reputable
Oct 25, 2017
Hello,

I have recently bought a 3080 and I am getting lower performance then other people with same or even lower specs then mine.
When I went to install my GPU (first time doing that) in the first attempt I could have scratched the GPU pins with my M.2 cooler but I am not sure. After testing some games and having an average 10-15 sometimes even less fps then other people on youtube I took the card out to make sure this was not the case and I checked the pins but couldnt see any damage at all.

My question is, are GPU pins very fragile to the point that even a scratch you cannot see can affect performance?

By the way my specs are:

TUF PRO Gaming Z390

I9 9900K

RTX 3080 Gigabyte Vision

16G RAM 3.200Mhz

Thanks in advance

Solution
Run GPU-z. If it doesn't say the GPU has a x16 link (it may show a different PCIe version, but this is for power savings) and you're certain the motherboard is configured so that slot gets 16 lanes, then yes, you can infer that there was some damage to the PCIe pins.

However, as long as it's still x8, I wouldn't worry about it.
Hello,

I have recently bought a 3080 and I am getting lower performance then other people with same or even lower specs then mine.
When I went to install my GPU (first time doing that) in the first attempt I could have scratched the GPU pins with my M.2 cooler but I am not sure. After testing some games and having an average 10-15 sometimes even less fps then other people on youtube I took the card out to make sure this was not the case and I checked the pins but couldnt see any damage at all.

My question is, are GPU pins very fragile to the point that even a scratch you cannot see can affect performance?

By the way my specs are:

TUF PRO Gaming Z390

I9 9900K

RTX 3080 Gigabyte Vision

16G RAM 3.200Mhz

Thanks in advance
If you couldn't see any damage....I doubt you did anything to the pins.
They aren't indestructible, but they are pretty tough.

Run GPU-z. If it doesn't say the GPU has a x16 link (it may show a different PCIe version, but this is for power savings) and you're certain the motherboard is configured so that slot gets 16 lanes, then yes, you can infer that there was some damage to the PCIe pins.

However, as long as it's still x8, I wouldn't worry about it.

Solution