Question Not sure if I made the right choice?

d1scg0lf3r

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2012
I just recently ordered a Ryzen 5 2600 cpu but I am wondering if I should have stuck with an intel processor since I mainly game and just watch Youtube videos, no video editing or anything like that. In my initial search I compared the Ryzen 5 2600 to my current cpu the i5 2500k and saw that on average the fps jump was 30-40fps with a current gpu and the most attractive thing was the price at $150. I recently saw that the i5 8400 which is $200 currently does a better job at gaming though but can't be overclocked but still outperforms the Ryzen 5. I am toying with the idea of returning my order and getting the i5, but then I also saw that the Ryzen 3000 chips are supposed to be out in July which I understand will use the AM4 socket as well so I could always upgrade to one of those down the road. Basically I am just looking for the best bang for my buck with the cpu. If it helps I currently play World of Warcraft, BF4, Shadow of the Tomb Raider (own it but have yet to play it), Hellblade, Overwatch, The Witcher 3 etc. On a side note I love building pc's but I hate making decisions on parts haha

The 2600 is competent. and, even if not as fast in average or peak FPS as the 9400F or 8600K, many report a smoother minimum FPS (.1/1% lows), which is quite nice...

Perhaps you can get 2600X clock speeds from it, and using 3200 MHz XMP, I'd say you got a great deal!

Enjoy it, and never worry much about the eternal ' is model/brand B perhaps 2-10 fps faster'

The 3600X and 3700X should be out in 15-16 days....; should be interesting times!

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
I have a Ryzen 5 2600 OC'd to 4 GHz with 3200 MHz RAM OC'd to 3333 MHz and it performs as well as or better than most Ryzen 2600x rigs in the benchmarks I have run.
I game at 1080p/60 Hz and I get any where from 85 t o120+ fps in current games set to Ultra.
And I do that while streaming to 2 TV's at 1080p using PLEX.
And I will most likely upgrade to a Ryzen 3000 series CPU in a year or two.
So I wouldn't worry too much about your choice because IMO it was a good choice.

bmacsys

Honorable
BANNED
I just recently ordered a Ryzen 5 2600 cpu but I am wondering if I should have stuck with an intel processor since I mainly game and just watch Youtube videos, no video editing or anything like that. In my initial search I compared the Ryzen 5 2600 to my current cpu the i5 2500k and saw that on average the fps jump was 30-40fps with a current gpu and the most attractive thing was the price at $150. I recently saw that the i5 8400 which is $200 currently does a better job at gaming though but can't be overclocked but still outperforms the Ryzen 5. I am toying with the idea of returning my order and getting the i5, but then I also saw that the Ryzen 3000 chips are supposed to be out in July which I understand will use the AM4 socket as well so I could always upgrade to one of those down the road. Basically I am just looking for the best bang for my buck with the cpu. If it helps I currently play World of Warcraft, BF4, Shadow of the Tomb Raider (own it but have yet to play it), Hellblade, Overwatch, The Witcher 3 etc. On a side note I love building pc's but I hate making decisions on parts haha

Stick with it. Even if the Intel cpu is marginally better at gaming it won't be better at anything else. So why bother? Seems like a total waste of time and effort.