Not sure if I received a faulty Graphics Card

Spartenbob117

Prominent
Jul 19, 2017
Hi, I just got a new graphics card (GtX 1080ti) but i have encountered a massive issue. When I first started the PC everything was working perfectly, no issues or anything. I updated the drivers and then launched a a game (Space engineers) After around 10 minutes the screen flickered with white and green pixels clustering up my screen. Around 5 seconds later the volume turned off and 10 seconds later the whole screen went black. I let the computer do its thing and it shut down about 5 minutes later.(Link to image after restarting the PC: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-ZRbTIVLyIY1hV4_Y4CGLBWEjS_pFuGa-xqLS-pfpcU) I restarted it and the flickering pixels returned. Around 10 seconds later the PC shut down. Up until now it is impossible for me to see anything on screen. Every time I boot up, im greeted by a black screen which refuses to go away. Thus I haven't been able to enter the Bios or anything for that matter. I forst suspected that it might be the cable (Display port) so I used and HDMI cable to see if my thesis was correct. Saddly I was wrong and the black screen kept persisting. I even went so far as to remove the card and reinstall it with no sucess. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Solution

Pokererere1

Prominent
Jun 15, 2017

Always worth a try, could possibly be something else as well. I would unplug your GPU completely, boot only using the onboard GPU (if your CPU supports it) or an old GPU (that you know works). This could verify if it is the GPU or something else. Could we possibly get a full list of your specs?

Spartenbob117

Prominent
Jul 19, 2017

Specs:

PSU- Corsair HX1200i (1200W)

Monitor- ASUS ROG swift

CPU- Intel Core i7 7700K BOX

GPU- 1 x ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti STRIX

MB- ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO (LGA 1151, Intel Z270, ATX)

-Cooler 1 x Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo (15.90cm)

Ram - Corsair Vengeance LPX (2x, 16GB, DDR4-2666, DIMM 288)

Hard drive- WD Red (4000GB, 3.5", NAS)

SSD - Samsung EVO 850 250GB

Pokererere1

Prominent
Jun 15, 2017

Awesome build. I would try the onboard GPU and see if it boots up perfectly fine. If it does, then I would get your GPU sent back and get a new one as that would be your problem!

Solution

Spartenbob117

Prominent
Jul 19, 2017

Thanks :). Ill do that as soon as i can (4 Days :( sadly) but thanks for the help. I hope its just a simple "Send it back and its all good" kinda thing. Thanks again though

Pokererere1

Prominent
Jun 15, 2017
No problem! Just reply in the forum (I am on usually all day, or on Discord if you click the link in the bottom right). I would love to help anymore if I can or become a new gaming partner. Hope to hear you soon!

Spartenbob117

Prominent
Jul 19, 2017

Thanks again

Spartenbob117

Prominent
Jul 19, 2017
So I pluged my Display Port cable into my motherboard and it works fine. I decided to put the GPU into the second PCI-E slot and it worked for about 5 minutes but had screen tearing and pixelation all over the place. [https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-ZRbTIVLyIY1hV4_Y4CGLBWEjS_pFuGa-xqLS-pfpcU] Is it possible that my PCI-E lanes are broken, or is this definitely a graphics card thing?

Pokererere1

Prominent
Jun 15, 2017

Since the card is still so new, I would replace that. Sorry for the late response, been very sick lately. I don't think it could be a lane issue... I have an older model, the ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO, and my 1080Ti runs without any issues. However your motherboard could be faulty, but I would get your card replaced ASAP.