Question Not sure if I should get mid-range Gigabyte or MSI x570 motherboard?

Nov 1, 2019
I need to get a motherboard for my Ryzen 3600 and I'm debating between a mid range Gigabyte or MSI motherboard. I'm considering either the Gibabyte x570 Aorus Elite or the MSI Mpg x570 Gaming Plus. Both Gigabyte and MSI have x570 motherboards that are a little more expensive but I'm not sure if the more expensive boards are worth the extra money for my use which would be general computer use and light gaming with no overclocking involved. I know that the Gigabyte x570 boards have better VRMs than the MSI boards but they have significantly worse user reviews than the MSI boards and so I'm not sure which one to get. I am considering only these two brands because they allow you to control the speed of the chipset fan in the bios.

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
the most important features on the x570 motherboards are the availablility of pci express 4.0 and the capability of run easily a 16 core cpu with 0 issues

if you are not going to use pci express 4.0 in a gpu or a nvme ssd, this feature doesn't help you

if you are not going to upgrade the r5 in a near future to a r9 this year or perhaps at the end of the next with the ryzen 4000 series, i personally wouldn't buy a x570, a x470 or a good b450 motherboard probably will serve you just as well, but being alot more cheap

about brands, i personally like more asus or gigabyte than msi, so if you are looking at a good gigabyte motherboard, it is what i would buy, but this comment is not focused on the x570, that i wouldn0t buy because i don't need any of those two specific features yet, perhaps in 3 or 5 years i would like to have a motherboard with those settings

Nov 1, 2019
the most important features on the x570 motherboards are the availablility of pci express 4.0 and the capability of run easily a 16 core cpu with 0 issues

if you are not going to use pci express 4.0 in a gpu or a nvme ssd, this feature doesn't help you

if you are not going to upgrade the r5 in a near future to a r9 this year or perhaps at the end of the next with the ryzen 4000 series, i personally wouldn't buy a x570, a x470 or a good b450 motherboard probably will serve you just as well, but being alot more cheap

about brands, i personally like more asus or gigabyte than msi, so if you are looking at a good gigabyte motherboard, it is what i would buy, but this comment is not focused on the x570, that i wouldn0t buy because i don't need any of those two specific features yet, perhaps in 3 or 5 years i would like to have a motherboard with those settings

There are a few things that I like about the x570 boards. I like that they support ram frequencies higher than 3466MHz. The Ryzen 3000 series prefers RAM speeds at 3600 MHz and above. Even though I'm not using PCIE 4.0 right now, I might be in a couple of years when I upgrade my video card which is a GTX 1070. My guess is that the next generation of video cards will be PCIE 4.0 cards. I might upgrade to a 4000 series CPU in 2-3 years. Currently, I have an Asus TUF x570 and the fan noise is driving me nuts and I have no option to lower the speed of it in the bios.

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
while the ram speed is true, the gains for that high speed are not big, 5% at best over a decent ddr4 3200mhz kit, so is not a vital performance increase, you can' see it as a loss really, nice to have, but not vital really

at the moment, the only gpu that sort of use pci express 4.0 is that radeon 7 and it uses it barely for gpu processing, not for games really

you will really need a pci express 4.0 gpu in 3 years, and the word need i use it lightly, because barely a rtx 2080ti uses pci express 3.0, is more like pci express 2.0, 8gbps more or less, that is why you can use those gpu on a old pci express and they barely see the difference, or a pci express 3.0 8x, that is basically a pci express 2.0, gpus today and in the next generation only will come closer to fill up pci express 3.0, forget 4.0

a shame the noise is a problem with that motherboard, to avoid it, or you wait for a motherboard using a big heatsink instead of a fan, or you go with a x470, a good model will support the 4000 series for sure, alot of b450 will too, if not all

the x570, the expensive models have lots of vrms to support those 16 cores overclocked, but to be honest, few are buying the 12 cores one, even fewer will move to the 16 cores

most people will move to a r7 on the am4 socket and then will move to the socket am5 in 2022, for the rumored 5nm cpus, i mention all this because when one wants to upgrade cpu, also consider a new build, and if things progress as fast as expected with the next socket from amd, you will not bother upgrading the r5, you will move to a new motherboard, ddr5 and a new cpu, instead of using the features of the x570

so my point is that you can search more for the right x570, but perhaps it is not what you want or need for the near future, so consider a more cheap and silent option

Nov 1, 2019
DO y
while the ram speed is true, the gains for that high speed are not big, 5% at best over a decent ddr4 3200mhz kit, so is not a vital performance increase, you can' see it as a loss really, nice to have, but not vital really

at the moment, the only gpu that sort of use pci express 4.0 is that radeon 7 and it uses it barely for gpu processing, not for games really

you will really need a pci express 4.0 gpu in 3 years, and the word need i use it lightly, because barely a rtx 2080ti uses pci express 3.0, is more like pci express 2.0, 8gbps more or less, that is why you can use those gpu on a old pci express and they barely see the difference, or a pci express 3.0 8x, that is basically a pci express 2.0, gpus today and in the next generation only will come closer to fill up pci express 3.0, forget 4.0

a shame the noise is a problem with that motherboard, to avoid it, or you wait for a motherboard using a big heatsink instead of a fan, or you go with a x470, a good model will support the 4000 series for sure, alot of b450 will too, if not all

the x570, the expensive models have lots of vrms to support those 16 cores overclocked, but to be honest, few are buying the 12 cores one, even fewer will move to the 16 cores

most people will move to a r7 on the am4 socket and then will move to the socket am5 in 2022, for the rumored 5nm cpus, i mention all this because when one wants to upgrade cpu, also consider a new build, and if things progress as fast as expected with the next socket from amd, you will not bother upgrading the r5, you will move to a new motherboard, ddr5 and a new cpu, instead of using the features of the x570

so my point is that you can search more for the right x570, but perhaps it is not what you want or need for the near future, so consider a more cheap and silent option

Do you think an x470 board could safely run a Ryzen 9 3000 series CPU if I decided to upgrade to one down the road. I might just go with an x470 board because I care about silence that much. It isn't that I can't handle any noise from the PC; it is just that the type of noise being emitted from my chipset fan (while not super loud) is noticeable and really annoying. It also seems like the x570 chipset fans will ultimately run into issues where they will either fail or start getting loud as they age. If I get a silent case like the Fractal Define C silent edition, this could fix the problem but I'm not sure how effective a silent case would be in eliminating the noise of a loud chipset fan.

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
i saw a a320 running that cpu, why wouldn't the x470? look for yourself

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQUAuYxWam4

the only inconvenient is bios update, is possible that a x470 can come with a bios without support for it, so you would need to update first, but if you ask the seller and he confirms that bios is up to date, it will run ryzen 3000 with no problems, good models of x470 will come with more than 6 vrm phases, a a320 barely has 3 low quality without heatsink and can run it

the small fan will not age well, back in the old athlon era, those fans used to die and then melt, so motherboard usually died too short after, before dying, imagine the noise

i don't expect a different situation now

about those noise dampening cases, usually they handle well vibrations and low frequencies, high frequencies will usually come out as if nothing were there to stop them, so i understand your concerns about noise and that is why i mention the x470 and even the b450 as valid options