Question Not sure if it's the MoBo... Help!

Nov 13, 2019
My PC froze a few months ago and the only way to turn it off or restart it was to turn the switch off at the PSU or pull the plug from the wall. Upon reconnecting and restarting it I experienced boot looping. Looked up some videos and decided the easiest thing to do at the time was to replace the CMOS battery, replace thermal paste, and reseat all connectors (not computer savvy so be gentle). Amazingly my PC worked fine for about 2 months. Then the freezing and boot looping happened again. Not every boot attempt, but most, and if I leave it on long enough it inevitably happens again.

I am assuming it's my MoBo but I am really hoping it isn't since my socket type (LGA2011-3) requires nothing but expensive boards.

Is there a chance flashing the BIOS could work? PSU tested fine. Expecting MoBo to be the issue.

Thanks in advance!

Specs:
CPU: i7 6800k
MoBo: Gigabyte X99P-SLI
GPU: GTX 1080
MEM: ADATA XPG Z1 16GB (4x4) 3000mHz
PSU: ATNG 1000w 80+ Gold

EDIT:
I forgot to add that there is no overheating. At least none the monitors are showing. Also, either Memory or CPU shows 100% for about the first 3-5 minutes of power up. Has ever since day 1 of using it about 3 years ago. I would specify which but I can hardly get my PC to stay on long enough.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2019
From what I have read, Cyberpower's Power Supplies are made by the same company that max Coolmax power supplies, which are trash (and probably why they are so cheap). Buy a good power supply.
References:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ATNG-APED-1150FC-GO-1000W-80-GOLD-PSU-Power-Supply-/254233988234

Nov 13, 2019
From what I have read, Cyberpower's Power Supplies are made by the same company that max Coolmax power supplies, which are trash (and probably why they are so cheap). Buy a good power supply.
References:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ATNG-APED-1150FC-GO-1000W-80-GOLD-PSU-Power-Supply-/254233988234

Thank you! Being the second to suggest a PSU I'm reaching out to friends to see if they have a test PSU I can use.

And as I was writing that my buddy text me and said he had a Corsair 750w that he could lend me for testing. It's a few years old but he said he had it in a box with some PC parts he uses for repairs. I really hope this fixes it!

Nov 13, 2019
Swapped out PSU's Saturday morning and gamed all day Sat, a bit of Sunday, and hoping most of tonight. So far now issues whatsoever. If it continues to run well for about a week then I'll be searching for a good Seasonic PSU.

Thank you guys!

Reactions: Ketchup79
Nov 13, 2019
Ok so... PC worked well for the entire week, but about 5 mins ago went into boot loop again.

How much more of a PSU wattage do you need over what's required? As in, if I "need" 350w is a 400w PSU good, or should I go with a 550w?

I am quite bummed as that new PSU made me all giddy like a schoolgirl and now I'm back to a $2,400 paperweight...

Thanks for the help, but I need more:(

Nov 13, 2019
What did you swap the power supply with?

I swapped the ATNG with a Corsair 430w. Guess I should have specified, my bad:)

Edit: I went to NewEgg's PSU calculator, and 2 others I don't remember the names of, and they all said I needed around 350w. So I figured my buddy's 430w should be sufficient.

Nov 13, 2019
I would recommend at least a 500-watt unit for your build (I would be buying a 600-watt unit personally. Considering the rest of your build, don't skimp on the power supply. Something like this would be good:
https://www.newegg.com/corsair-tx-m-series-tx650m-650w/p/N82E16817139207?Description=CORSAIR TX-M Series TX650M CP-9020132-NA&cm_re=CORSAIR_TX-M_Series_TX650M_CP-9020132-NA--17-139-207--Product

I think I'm going to go ahead and order that. Even if that's not the issue I'm going to have to give my buddy back his PSU and I will never again use that ATNG... So I have to buy one. I really appreciate the input! I'll order that one tonight:)

Hopefully when I install it I won't have any further issues...