Not sure if motherboard is faulty or if it's something else.

Aug 26, 2018
Now, I've tried finding another thread with the same issue as mine, but I can't seem to do it. Last year I built my own computer and for a year now it has worked great. But, until recently it sometimes just shuts off and does not respond. By shut off I don't mean the computer shuts down, it just stops sending to the monitor. At first when I read about it I thought that it might be the motherboard. I've tried almost everything that I am capable of doing.

1. I tried switching ram positions to see if there was perhaps a ram slot that was dead, but I did not see one that was not working. All 4 seem to work without issue, and even when I put in one ram stick at a time they both work.
2. I tried clearing the ram by taking out the power cable and then holding the power button for about 20 seconds. That did not fix it either.
3. I tried resetting the motherboard thinking it might've had something to do with me using the bios (even though I've always used the factory settings because I never wanted to try putting my cpu or ram on higher frequencies.
4. As a simple enough attempt, I updated every driver I knew about. But this did not fix it.

The things I cannot test:
1. I cannot test if it's the gpu because the ryzen 1600 I have does not include iGPU. But maybe there is still a way to check?
2. I cannot check if the psu is faulty because I do not own another psu and do not know a friend who has one for me to check with.

The thing that differs with mine from others is that in the most videos I've watched their computer fail to boot completely. With mine, it sometimes does boot up, and works fine. But sometimes it does not send any power to the keyboard, mouse and monitor. I was told to check if I hear the beep sound to show that the computer has posted but I never get that beep, even when the computer boots up correctly.

My question is, what other options do I have? I have warranty on most things but not the psu.

Solution

well, as far as I know, when the motherboard shuts down usually caused by its circuit protection mechanism. if you have high powered case fans, make sure they are not overloading a fan header on motherboard.

if it stays powered up but there is no signal to monitor try to turn off all power saving features in windows first

if you suspect there is some pcie related error, install hwinfo64 let it stay running for a while and inspect the bottom most row for windows hardware errors, or look into your windows event log see if...
Aug 26, 2018

I'm using the stock cooler which I got with the cpu and my case has two fans. My gpu also has 2 fans, if that matter. In total, 5 fans.

larrycumming

Prominent
Aug 15, 2018

well, as far as I know, when the motherboard shuts down usually caused by its circuit protection mechanism. if you have high powered case fans, make sure they are not overloading a fan header on motherboard.

if it stays powered up but there is no signal to monitor try to turn off all power saving features in windows first

if you suspect there is some pcie related error, install hwinfo64 let it stay running for a while and inspect the bottom most row for windows hardware errors, or look into your windows event log see if theres any errors posted

no monitor signal maybe just a bad graphics card

that's all I can think of

Solution
Aug 26, 2018

Well, I doubt it's the fans because they're also stock and by my knowledge they don't use that much power. And I realised it can't be motherboard or anything else because then it'd shut down, wouldn't it? It must be the graphics card. I'll send it for a replacement. Thanks a lot for your help. :)

Latest posts