[SOLVED] Not sure if my PSU is defective or not.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

stookza

Reputable
Jan 23, 2019
Hi

My 2nd pc with Windows XP x64 and a 10 years old Corsair AX1200 PSU so i had some problems recenlty of 0xc0000005 errors during WMP or during installtion of Creative System Information tool, so i checked my PSU voltage values and saw that there is some different between Aida64, HWINFO32, BIOS results which shows normal values+- and HWMONITOR info that shows bad values, so im not so sure now if my psu is on the border of being defective and i need to replace it asap, or if i can still use it some more for a while with certainty.
https://imgbox.com/qm3IuzDE

Im a bit confused only cause of HWMONITOR result [12V-11.48 5V-4.72] and also according to "Retiredchief" comment in this thread :
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/testing-psu-for-stability.241363/

Any comment will be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Solution
Now tell me, why should i format 2 hard disks and reinstall fresh a windows and all its drivers and all that hard work just to prove u? Whatever ill do, u will not believe me anyway...

To prove your argument. At the moment you are losing and have proven nothing. I looked all over the internet for any benchmarks or proof of this and found nothing. All I found was a few articles comparing Windows XP 32Bit and Windows 7, and in all cases Windows 7 was faster and delivered better FPS. I have no reason to believe that XP 64 is faster than XP 32, and I know that 7 and 10 are approximately the same.

If it was true, and XP 64 was up to 30% faster than 10 as you suggest, then it would be quite a popular thing to do. People would...

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
Total nonsense. it doesn’t count if you run the two tests on two different machines. Besides which they both got 144FPS so that is likely the limit of the engine on this old, obscure game that you’re running. I never heard of it. Show something contemporary like GTA5.

Do a test on the same system. Clean install, no other software, same PC, same hardware, only difference is the OS: Windows 10 vs XP64.

Windows 10 is faster.

stookza

Reputable
Jan 23, 2019
GTA5 doesnt work in windows XP, watch its system requitement...
But u can try games like: Crysis 2, GTA 4, Deus EX Human revolution, COD black ops 1-2 and Modern warefare, 1-2-3, Sniper Ghost warrior 1-2, Homefront, Medal of Honor 2010. Mass effect 2-3, Dead space 2-3, Half life Black mesa, Etc.
Half of those games i try also in Windows 10 after tweaking them and the running was slower [or at least a bit] than what i could run in XP.

In case u wanna know the XP machine is the weaker one, and it always gives the better 3d perormance results, and if ill install XP x64 also in my stronger pc it will give me much better 3 performance results than what i have with the windows 10 there.

Now tell me, why should i format 2 hard disks and reinstall fresh a windows and all its drivers and all that hard work just to prove u? Whatever ill do, u will not believe me anyway...so why dont u try it yourself? Simply do it by yourself and prove to yourself that ur wrong if u dont believe me so much and think that im lying. I have no interest to talk against Win10 for no reason, I use it by myself and i also like this os.

But Windows XP x64 3d performance is faster.

Last edited:
Reactions: white.a.drew

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
Now tell me, why should i format 2 hard disks and reinstall fresh a windows and all its drivers and all that hard work just to prove u? Whatever ill do, u will not believe me anyway...

To prove your argument. At the moment you are losing and have proven nothing. I looked all over the internet for any benchmarks or proof of this and found nothing. All I found was a few articles comparing Windows XP 32Bit and Windows 7, and in all cases Windows 7 was faster and delivered better FPS. I have no reason to believe that XP 64 is faster than XP 32, and I know that 7 and 10 are approximately the same.

If it was true, and XP 64 was up to 30% faster than 10 as you suggest, then it would be quite a popular thing to do. People would dual-boot and keep an XP 64 partition at the ready in case they wanted to improve framerate in fames. People do much stranger things to get better Framerate. You don't see people dual booting into XP64 at all, anywhere.

If it was true, way more games would support XP 64, and you'd see certain publishers recommending it for performance, and professional / hardcore gamers using it for competitions and competitive matchups. You don't see that at all, ever.

But Windows XP x64 3d performance is faster.

No it isn't. It just isn't. You haven't proven it or shown a single valid benchmark, just a video of one game being played on two different PCs with FRAPS running on one, and VSYNC active on the other - Which proves nothing at all.

The anecdotal evidence suggests that it is not true: Pro gamers don't use it and enthusiast gamers don't use it. If it was true, they would use it.

If it was true, it would be extremely easy for you or anyone else to prove it beyond any shadow of a doubt. Since you can't, I don't believe you.

If it was true, I would be able to find some articles online from other people who have tried it and found the performance benefits you're talking about. This would certainly be something people would write about online. Nobody has posted anything of the sort, there are no articles because it is not true.

Last edited:
Solution

stookza

Reputable
Jan 23, 2019
You can think whatever u want idc, as i said, i dont have to bother and prove u anything, i already dropped u the clue and thats enough, do whatever u want with it. u can do the tests by urself or not, but if u do u will find out clearly what im talking about and that i not bs, or u just affraid of like most of the gamers in the world that cant comply with it and they want to burry thier head in the sand like u, cause it will make them too sad or depressed or idk that xp x64 has a better 3d performance than any other os include win10, or that they simply werent smart enough to test and notice it like i did cause they didnt have the chance yet. but there is enough info and positive reviews over the net from some pro sophisticated gamers about Xp x64 supremacy 3D performance than any other o.s that came later. U just need to dig and search in the right places like i did long time ago maybe u will find something in google page 80+. Idk if ur a worker of Microsoft or not, but untill u wont try it by urself and create a dual boot with Xp x64 in your exact same pc with WIN10, and then test it with Passmark performance 3d tests, versions 5-6-7-8, u have no right to judge. and im done with it, this thread can be closed cause its not related to the topic anyway.

https://www.quora.com/Which-version-of-Windows-is-best-for-gaming-XP-7-8-1-or-10

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
You can think whatever u want idc, as i said, i dont have to bother and prove u anything, i already dropped u the clue and thats enough, do whatever u want with it. u can do the tests by urself or not, but if u do u will find out clearly what im talking about and that i not bs, or u just affraid of like most of the gamers in the world that cant comply with it and they want to burry thier head in the sand like u, cause it will make them too sad or depressed or idk that xp x64 has a better 3d performance than any other os include win10, or that they simply werent smart enough to test and notice it like i did cause they didnt have the chance yet. but there is enough info and positive reviews over the net from some pro sophisticated gamers about Xp x64 supremacy 3D performance than any other o.s that came later. U just need to dig and search in the right places like i did long time ago maybe u will find something in google page 80+. Idk if ur a worker of Microsoft or not, but untill u wont try it by urself and create a dual boot with Xp x64 in your exact same pc with WIN10, and then test it with Passmark performance 3d tests, versions 5-6-7-8, u have no right to judge. and im done with it, this thread can be closed cause its not related to the topic anyway.

https://www.quora.com/Which-version-of-Windows-is-best-for-gaming-XP-7-8-1-or-10

sorry but although you wrote a lot of words, they are all complete nonsense. XP 64 simply is not faster than windows 10 in games. It just isn’t. You have yet to post a single benchmark comparison proving it, and you never will.

Very telling that the only things you can find on the topic are a quora thread and a forum post from 2006. Both of which say windows 10 is faster btw! 🤣

stookza

Reputable
Jan 23, 2019
Lies...at least 4 people from quora thread said that windows Xp is faster than 10 [especially that 1 that tweaked his XP with Direct X12] and it was not too long ago, if u didnt read well...

"Graphics and fps is great. Normally you will get at least 10 fps more on XP than any other OSes."

"In my opinion windows XP is the best OS for gaming."

Now, why dont u do it urself and tell me?

Last edited:

If it was true, and XP 64 was up to 30% faster than 10 as you suggest, then it would be quite a popular thing to do. People would dual-boot and keep an XP 64 partition at the ready in case they wanted to improve framerate in fames. People do much stranger things to get better Framerate. You don't see people dual booting into XP64 at all, anywhere.

If it was true, way more games would support XP 64, and you'd see certain publishers recommending it for performance, and professional / hardcore gamers using it for competitions and competitive matchups. You don't see that at all, ever.

No it isn't. It just isn't. You haven't proven it or shown a single valid benchmark, just a video of one game being played on two different PCs with FRAPS running on one, and VSYNC active on the other - Which proves nothing at all.

The anecdotal evidence suggests that it is not true: Pro gamers don't use it and enthusiast gamers don't use it. If it was true, they would use it.

If it was true, it would be extremely easy for you or anyone else to prove it beyond any shadow of a doubt. Since you can't, I don't believe you.

If it was true, I would be able to find some articles online from other people who have tried it and found the performance benefits you're talking about. This would certainly be something people would write about online. Nobody has posted anything of the sort, there are no articles because it is not true.
He actually isn't wrong there is a reason people like me who build arcade simulator's use windows xp over windows 10 is a key reason yes is takes a lot of work to get older games to work off of 10 especially through simulators. But also because the 3d rendering through xp is smoother through xp then 10 because all the add extra's they add to windows over time. So whats the point making new simulation tools for 10 when xp is already setup for everything we need and plays through them smoother.... It has actually been proven as windows has moved up the 3d rendering speeds have gone down as much as they can speed up the gpu's windows decode and decyfering can only do so much... I "will" post a video i found on this a while back the moment i find it again i believe it was a linus tech tips video i watched where he was able to actually explain what im trying to say...

sorry but although you wrote a lot of words, they are all complete nonsense. XP 64 simply is not faster than windows 10 in games. It just isn’t. You have yet to post a single benchmark comparison proving it, and you never will.

Very telling that the only things you can find on the topic are a quora thread and a forum post from 2006. Both of which say windows 10 is faster btw! 🤣
Benchmarks make no difference in the situation as to which he is talking about.... The frame lag on screen is what he is talking about you maybe in most cases able to get higher fps in windows 10.... You will experience more screen tearing and fps lag with it do to the factor of windows 10 have some much extra crammed into compared to xp the 3d rendering it has to work on in the background and thinking it's just in the end so much smoother and over all plasant experience playing on xp compared to 10 even 7 is better then 10

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
You will experience more screen tearing and fps lag with it do to the factor of windows 10 have some much extra crammed into compared to xp

Is this you on your second account? You make about as much sense as the first guy... No Windows 10 does not have "some much extra crammed into". Both Operating systems are about equal once you have loaded 3D drivers, DirectX, Game engine etc. You would always get better performance on 10, since the drivers would be much more up to date.

Is this you on your second account? You make about as much sense as the first guy... No Windows 10 does not have "some much extra crammed into". Both Operating systems are about equal once you have loaded 3D drivers, DirectX, Game engine etc. You would always get better performance on 10, since the drivers would be much more up to date.
lol are you special???? there's so much more crammed into windows 10 then xp........ you have just to start with live background 600 preloaded game's ad's from * whether app crammed down your throat and not to bring up the factor you physically have to shut off windows updater to stop windows from auto updating because other wise you can only "postpone" it for 7 days or some stupid crap... which doesn't work you still get random updates pushed through..... bro you can argue all you want but xp all the way for 3d

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
there's so much more crammed into windows 10 then xp........
Give examples.

you have just to start with live background 600 preloaded game's ad's from * whether app crammed down your throat

That isn't an example. Granted, those are annoying, as are all the bloat apps it comes with. but they are all deleted, uninstalled and removed around 10 minutes after installing Windows 10. Irrelevant.

and not to bring up the factor you physically have to shut off windows updater to stop windows from auto updating because other wise you can only "postpone" it for 7 days or some stupid crap... which doesn't work you still get random updates pushed through.....

Sorry, what? You're saying you disable Windows Update on Windows 10? Why, exactly? Those are security and performance patches that make your PC run better, not worse. In case you didn't realise, Windows XP also has automatic updates, and you very much need them turned on if you want anything to work at all. At the very best this is a draw.

bro you can argue all you want but xp all the way for 3d

This isn't even an argument, I'm destroying you. It's almost cruel to do it to someone so dumb. You are 0 for 6 at this point, want to keep going?

Give examples.

That isn't an example. Granted, those are annoying, as are all the bloat apps it comes with. but they are all deleted, uninstalled and removed around 10 minutes after installing Windows 10. Irrelevant.

Sorry, what? You're saying you disable Windows Update on Windows 10? Why, exactly? Those are security and performance patches that make your PC run better, not worse. In case you didn't realise, Windows XP also has automatic updates, and you very much need them turned on if you want anything to work at all. At the very best this is a draw.

This isn't even an argument, I'm destroying you. It's almost cruel to do it to someone so dumb. You are 0 for 6 at this point, want to keep going?
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/44719884

again this is just sitting on the desktop nothing running at all besides the stress test so please explain how windows 10 isn't slowing down anything at all compared to xp where as xp if i just ran this same test would come back with 0 background usage to slow down your pc.

again this is just sitting on the desktop nothing running at all besides the stress test so please explain how windows 10 isn't slowing down anything at all compared to xp where as xp if i just ran this same test would come back with 0 background usage to slow down your pc.
and before you say my system is just trash i don't have this issue when i boot in to windows 7. this system is dual booted with 10 and 7

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021

Seems like you are maybe infected with malware? The CPU score is very very low for that CPU suggesting that you have a lot of applications or processes running in the background taking up CPU cycles. Do you just click "OK" to anything that pops up on your PC without reading it by any chance? Since you deliberately do not install security patches I can't imagine it's very difficult to infect your PC.

Seems like you are maybe infected with malware? The CPU score is very very low for that CPU suggesting that you have a lot of applications or processes running in the background taking up CPU cycles. Do you just click "OK" to anything that pops up on your PC without reading it by any chance? Since you deliberately do not install security patches I can't imagine it's very difficult to infect your PC.
No im not stupid and no it's not infected it's scanned nightly. It's just windows doing it's thing slacking down everything it can, again if it was malware or any of that windows 7 would be infected as well as it's on the same drive

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
No im not stupid and no it's not infected it's scanned nightly. It's just windows doing it's thing slacking down everything it can, again if it was malware or any of that windows 7 would be infected as well as it's on the same drive

No, viruses don't tend to jump across OS installs like that. It will just be your Windows 10 install that is infected since you refuse to install patches on it. Also you probably need to install Chipset drivers and so on like you do on any version of Windows, and I'll bet you haven't done that either.

Maybe try a clean install of just Windows 10, all your motherboard drivers and no other OS on the same drive. Oh and use an SSD, not some ancient mechanical hard disk. It will run faster than XP after that.

No, viruses don't tend to jump across OS installs like that. It will just be your Windows 10 install that is infected since you refuse to install patches on it. Also you probably need to install Chipset drivers and so on like you do on any version of Windows, and I'll bet you haven't done that either.

Maybe try a clean install of just Windows 10, all your motherboard drivers and no other OS on the same drive. Oh and use an SSD, not some ancient mechanical hard disk. It will run faster than XP after that.
Umm it is on a ssd if you look at what im running it's a m.2 with windows on it..... Again you have half a brian when it come to computers like dude... Chipset drivers are already installed i have already reinstalled windows twice with the same results. And i love the factor you are assuming im not allowing any updates at all period end of story... No like i said i disable it when im not doing updates... Do to it likes to randomly force updates through whether your gaming or not which takes your ping from 10 to low 100 constantly hitting a 1000... No i dont allow that thank you im tired of it....

Yes bios is upto date minus maybe 1

stookza

Reputable
Jan 23, 2019
White.a.drew
1st i want to apologize for my late reply cause i was too busy during the last 2 weeks.

Basically im not that 1 of those dudes who likes to flatter a lot to people u know these days . but in your case ill make an exception, anyway i wanted to thank u and tell u that i really admire people like u, because u are truly a researcher and u have a "sharp eye" that can notice to issues that most of the common simple people in our world will not even pay attention, and thats why people like us are pretty rare. ;-)

Nothing personal, but dont bother with TommyTwoTone66 because he didnt even try my "Passmark performance 3D test" comparison between xp and 10 [at the same pc] just to c if im wrong or not before he talks... Now no matter what u will say to him he will always argue and tells u that ur wrong, i know people like him, he is the same as my step father, no matter what i will tell him, he will always argue about everything, and even if ill show him proof or hard evidence of something, he will still say that i dont understand anything and im wrong. nothing will convince him because he is the only one that knows everything, u know what even more then that, like even if ill tell him finally that he was RIGHT, he will still say that im WRONG...lol, that explains it all...from people like this i simply prefer to stay away, argument with other people is simply their joy, and its a waste of time and energy for me...thats why i left the house not a long time ago, letting him and my mom argue and fight between them all day after long years of suffering from him, i simply refuse to meet with him when my mom comes to visit me and i tell her not to bring him just to keep my peacfull mind.

If u asked about my pc with XP, its all ok now and i dont have any 0x00000c errors anymore, except of when im trying to "install this creative system information" tool, but like i said before it doesnt really matter to me cause its already installed and working anyway, and "windows updates" is disabled in "services" since long time ago, and all is working perfect without it, cause its useless and doesnt work anyway for windows xp anymore. [update always loops]

And about my PSU also all is totally ok, i purchased this device from ebay and tested with it and it shows that all the values are right.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/333942190279

Last edited:
Reactions: white.a.drew

TRENDING THREADS