Not sure if my sound card is working properly

Sep 14, 2018
Recently upgraded to a new motherboard, CPU and RAM. I have an ASUS PRIME Z370-P. On the official site ( https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/PRIME-Z370-P/specifications/ ) under audio it says this Realtek® ALC887 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC

However, when I go to device manager I can only find NVIDIA High Definition Audio and Nvidia Virtual Audio Device (wave Extensible) (WDM).

And only my monitor reproductors work, the headphones aren't even detected.

When I first started the computer it had one other sound driver which I can't remember the name of (but it wasn't Realtek) (and also an uninstalled realtek high definiton, but according to the guide i was supposed to uninstall old drivers, so i did), but since it wasn't working I uninstalled it and tried to install the audio drivers from the MB's site, but nothing happened. It said it's done and asked me to restart the pc and after it booted back up nothing changed.

I'm assuming the NVIDIA sound comes from my gtx 1060 since the monitor is plugged into to that and my monitor sound works.

Is the sound card broken? Can I fix this somehow?

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Find the sound symbol in your system tray,rightclick it,go for sounds and look for playback devices,see if it there.Maybe it's set to off,set it to on and rightclick->test.See if that works.
Maybe in device manager look for the mentioning of the realtek audio being present first.

Sep 14, 2018

Only thing in playback devices is my monitor and the only 2 things in device manager are the above mentioned NVIDIA drivers

Sep 14, 2018

Thanks, I went into BIOS and enabled HD audio control (or something along those lines) not sure why, but it was disabled and now my headphones work fine