Not sure if RAM will work with my current motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris052692

Honorable
Mar 15, 2012
I recently watched a video on how to install RAM (12gb [3x4gb]) into my motherboard and I noticed that he had a total of 6 slots for Ram with the RAMs going into every other slot.

My current motherboard only has 4 slots for RAM total and I have 3 sticks of RAM to install.

Should I be worried? Did I waste my money on 12Gb?

Current motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128519

Current sticks of RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231405

Please help! I'm not a tech-savvy guy at all.

Solution
You didn't waste your money, but definitely made a mistake. You should have ordered either 2 sticks or 4 sticks of memory. With 3 sticks, your system will operate in single channel mode, which is slower than the preferred dual channel mode you get when the sticks are paired up evenly.

My recommendation is to either just use 2 sticks of memory and keep the third as a backup, or buy a 4th stick of memory to make a full dual channel setup.
You didn't waste your money, but definitely made a mistake. You should have ordered either 2 sticks or 4 sticks of memory. With 3 sticks, your system will operate in single channel mode, which is slower than the preferred dual channel mode you get when the sticks are paired up evenly.

My recommendation is to either just use 2 sticks of memory and keep the third as a backup, or buy a 4th stick of memory to make a full dual channel setup.

Solution

chris052692

Honorable
Mar 15, 2012

Crap . . . apparently these sticks of RAM are for Intel motherboards only. Why the hell do they make RAMs for specific motherboards? Why can't RAM just be universal?

There is no such thing as memory for Intel systems only. It's just marketing hyperbole referencing the fact that this is a triple channel kit, which currently only intel offers. The memory will work on AMD systems as well.

chris052692

Honorable
Mar 15, 2012

Oh, that lifted a lot of worries. Thank you so much for helping me.

I don't want to hassle with RMA so I think I'll just use 8Gb and save the third as backup in case one of the sticks fail, is faulty, or something else.

Thank you once again for your assistance!

chris052692

Honorable
Mar 15, 2012

One final question,

You said that if I do utilize all three sticks of RAM then it will go from dual-channel to single-channel and single-channels are slower.

I did a little checking on Tom's Hardware and I found this benchmark which measured both single channels and dual-channels.

For gaming, there seems to be slight to nearly zero changes in performance. Nothing above 5%.

For such a small change, and I'm only going to be using this PC for gaming, nothing that would require RAM intensive work, what is your take on this situation?

Should I still just use 2 sticks of RAM or should I force it into single-channel?

Status
Not open for further replies.