[SOLVED] Not sure what component(s) to upgrade

samprinsen

Honorable
Feb 21, 2015
Hi,

I mainly play VR games, Racing sims and FPS games and im looking to upgrade my rig (mainly for my Valve Index performance). I game on 1440p 144hz and on my Valve index VR headset.

my rig:
-i5 8600k @4.8Ghz
-RTX 2070S
-2x 8GB Gskill Ripjaws V Ram
-ASrock Z370 Extreme 4

My GPU is the lowest priority in terms of upgrading, but I'd love to hear your thoughts on what could improve my gaming performance!

samprinsen

Honorable
Feb 21, 2015
I would go for an 8700k, and perhaps maybe more RAM.
How many programs do you usually have open?
Thanks for the reply! I usually just have discord, a couple of chrome tabs and a particular game open so nothing too special. I was looking into getting a 9900k, since going from a 8600k to a 8700k didn't seem like that big of a jump, but i'd like to hear your opinion on that! Would you recommend going for RAM first, or CPU?

512-Bit

Reputable
Apr 17, 2019
Thanks for the reply! I usually just have discord, a couple of chrome tabs and a particular game open so nothing too special. I was looking into getting a 9900k, since going from a 8600k to a 8700k didn't seem like that big of a jump, but i'd like to hear your opinion on that! Would you recommend going for RAM first, or CPU?
Since you don't have much open (unless you have many tabs open in chrome,) I'd suggest you go with a CPU upgrade 1st.

How many chrome tabs do you have open?

But like the mod said, it isn't really nessessary to upgrade anything in your rig. Unless you are expiriencing performance stutters, there really is no reason to upgrade.

Reactions: samprinsen

samprinsen

Honorable
Feb 21, 2015
Since you don't have much open (unless you have many tabs open in chrome,) I'd suggest you go with a CPU upgrade 1st.

How many chrome tabs do you have open?

But like the mod said, it isn't really nessessary to upgrade anything in your rig. Unless you are expiriencing performance stutters, there really is no reason to upgrade.
Yeah my biggest reason to upgrade would be VR, since some games (emphasis on some, its not many at all) have some bad perfomance issues. But Im still not sure if thats just the games or my rig. But after thinking about it a bit more, I guess waiting a couple more months/a year would be the best course of action.

About the chrome tabs, I'd say between 3 to 5 at any given moment, but is that such a big factor for performance?

samprinsen

Honorable
Feb 21, 2015
I don't see that your system actually needs an upgrade and any upgrade you do (IMO) would not be worth the cost.

-Wolf sends
Yeah I was thinking that as well. It's mainly for my Index, cause pretty much any non-vr game runs fine on my PC ( apart from Escape from Tarkov but that's a beta), so I might just wait longer. Thanks for your reply!