Not sure what CPU cooler I should go with?

foxofblades

Prominent
Oct 16, 2018
Hello, Tom's Hardware. I have a question about a build I recently bought off Newegg. This is the build:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883230316

I wanted to know what would be a good CPU cooler that would fit in that case? The i7 8700k runs a little hotter than I'm accustomed to in my older rigs and I wanted something that isn't too expensive that keeps that chip cool? I appreciate the help/advice in advance. This has been weighing heavy on my thoughts the last few days. Thank you.

You probably don't need a aftermarket cooler, unless you just don't like the loud stock cooler. If the chip is getting too hot, it wont hold the turbo of the 8700, but you can check that pretty quick by watching your CPU temps.

If you still want an aftermarket cooler, I would go with something cheap. As far as performance, cheap or expensive wont make a difference. The Coolermaster Hyper 212 is pretty basic cooler. The Cryorig H7 is a decent budget cooler as well. Both of those will be quieter than your current stock cooler.

foxofblades

Prominent
Oct 16, 2018

Thank you for your reply. So far with the games I've been playing (Sea of Thieves, Killing Floor 2, Payday 2, Rainbow Six Siege), my CPU temp usually hovers around 65-66c with a spike every now and then that gets to 70c for a second or two, then drops back down to 65-66c. I'm not entirely sure what a good temp is for gaming with the 8700k and a stock cooler? Are these temps I should be concerned about?

foxofblades

Prominent
Oct 16, 2018

I appreciate your reply, thank you. The cooler is actually not loud at all. I've just been a little concerned with the temps I've been getting while gaming. I usually get around 65-66c while gaming and I'm not sure if that is a good range to be in while gaming or if that will hurt my CPU in the long-run?

foxofblades

Prominent
Oct 16, 2018
Thank you guys both for your time and advice. I very much appreciate it. If I could mark two answers as the solution, I would. Sadly I can't. Have a good one. Cheers.