Not sure what kind of memory problem

G

I can't tell if this is a video card or RAM problem...i have a Pentium III 550, 128mb ram, 32mb nvidia RIVA TNT2, dvd drive, 12x cdrw, ethernet etc etc....

anyway...the problem is that every time i play a video (in any program) and then i try to right click on the desktop to get to the "properties" screen (usually to change my screensaver time), then it resets itself. it does the same thing if i just press alt-tab to get to another program. I use windows 2000 and this problem never occurred before about 2 months ago. I reformatted my computer and it still happened so I believe it's a hardware problem. Now when it happens i get a blue screen from windows 2000 and it says:

***STOP : 0x0000000A (0x6FF00FD, 0x0000000FF, 0x0000000, 0x80416A77)
*** ADDRESS 80416A77 base at 80400000, Datestamp 3ad7ad60 - ntoskrnl.exe

Beginning dump of physical memory.
Physical Memory dump complete.

Anyway, that's what happens. Any ideas whatsoEVER, i'd appreciate it...

Ryan

FatBurger

Illustrious
Find out what program ntoskrnl.exe is. Just use a Find File. Then look for an updated version of the program, if you can.

------------------------------
Apple? Macintosh? What are these strange words you speak?

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
I get that ntoskrnl.exe bluescreen error in W2K every once in a while too. I used to get it all the time until I found out my motherboard only supported 2 unbuffered memory sticks instead of the 3 I was using....which leads me to believe it is memory related. Maybe you have some bad or unsupported memory. Who knows.

If someone knows what ntoskrnl.exe does that would be nice to know.

eric

wmabern

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Not sure exactly what ntoskrnl "does", but it is the operating system kernel of an NT/2000 machine. Without it or if it becomes corrupted somehow, the system will not boot. Sometimes the Emergency repair process will fix it, but over 1/2 the time, I have found it requires a re-install.
If you want to know the boot process and where ntoskrnl comes in, go here:

http://www.microsoft.com/WINDOWS2000/techinfo/reskit/en/Core/fnbb_str_njcp.htm

Good luck.
~Mark

TRENDING THREADS