Not sure what laptop to buy to suit my needs. (LOW BUDGET)

FantasyFPS

Commendable
Apr 9, 2016
Hello! I am coming to this forum because I am really out of ideas at this point and I need this laptop fast, as my old one just broke.

I am looking for a laptop under $400 dollars that can be bought in the USA. It can be refurbished if needed as long as it isn't used or has scratches and stuff like that.

The laptop does not have to be too large but big enough to work with Sony Vegas without any visibility issues. I would mainly be using this laptop for video editing and web browsing but I may use it for some moderate gaming.

Battery life is a must because I am out frequently besides nights as I am always taking my laptop to coffee shops or college most of the day.

Buying online is also something I need to do because where I live the only store that only sells a lot of electronics is Best Buy and it is around 15 miles away. (Yes I do live in a very small town) but it is nice and cozy here :)

Somehow as we manage to not have any tech stores around we still have a programming company in a huge building... wat.

Anyway, as for the OS it does not really matter as long as its windows 7 and above. Preference would be windows 7.

Matte or glossy screen is fine, I really don't care.
As for looks of the laptop I also don't care as long it isn't straight outta the 90s :D

I need this laptop soon because I am borrowing a friends pc, my current one got knocked of my desk from my cat (I'm dumb for leaving it on the edge) but at least my cat is ok.

A huge hard drive is not required because I will be storing my projects and videos on an external hard drive but I believe it may need some space for games like CSGO TF2 and Portal.

SSD is not really in my interest unless there is some wizard out there who can find a 500gb ssd in a decent laptop under 400 *ehem* *fixes hat* NOBODY.

Optical drive is also optional.

Only other thing I can ask is that the rendering times are decent, obviously not as fast as my 3k gaming pc (duhh) but as long as a 5 minute long project isn't taking 10 hours i'm good :)

Thank you so much in advance!

Solution

you would get more out of a desktop for the money but since your mobile this is only one i could recomend

i3 and a nvidia 820m 2gb ddr3 laptop
http://www.amazon.com/Dell-Inspiron-i3-4005U-NVIDIA-Laptop/dp/B01AXA2BRQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1463754412&sr=8-1&keywords=i3+nvidia

a general idea of what games would run on a 820m
http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-820M.108477.0.html

Solution