Question Not sure what's freezing up my Windows 10 on a new laptop, need help!

Aug 13, 2020
Recently got my TUF506IH-RS53 (ASUS TUF Gaming Laptop), about 1-2 months ago.

I noticed in the last month that it would freeze up randomly in progressive ways.

I would go to sleep at night, then when I'd return in the morning, the laptop would be frozen. Hard reboot/restart would be the only option to get it working again.

I would never notice this while using the laptop until recently. What I notice is when there is a high enough SSD workload, the laptop freezes. Today I was downloading a lot of files (about 50GB worth), and the laptop froze about 3-4 times during that time. The freeze was progressive: first, activity of the opened apps would freeze, but I could still alt-tab, move the mouse, and cycle through different opened apps; I wouldn't be able to use any of the data inside the apps as they would be non-interactable. I wouldn't be able to open or close any apps. Then, that would freeze too, and I would only be able to move the mouse cursor. The mouse cursor being able to move may or may not eventually freeze up too.

It's a relatively new laptop, so there isn't much on it. What's the problem?

I'm kind of suspecting the Kingston SSD that comes with the laptop, an nVME. It's too late to return it, as the 30-day window from Amazon has passed. Do you really believe the SSD is the issue, as I do? There's gotta be something else, I hope!

What I tried: https://www.partitionwizard.com/partitionmagic/win10-freezes-randomly.html

And of course power settings. Everything set to "stay on forever" (which I did first day I got the laptop, actually).

Aug 10, 2020
Downloading? Most consumer wifi ties up CPU for network processing. I've seen flash freeze at thermal limits. Sounds almost like its trying to sleep but acpi (plug'n'play) bios can't shut down. Bad or wrong driver.

Aug 10, 2020
Appears that the 1TB SSD was added as JBOD to the 250GB SSD. Says its a recovery partition? So you are adding the 1TB to the 250GB internally? If you suspect the 250 then why is it still in the laptop? (In JBOD the directory for both drives is on the 250.)

Aug 13, 2020
Appears that the 1TB SSD was added as JBOD to the 250GB SSD. Says its a recovery partition? So you are adding the 1TB to the 250GB internally? If you suspect the 250 then why is it still in the laptop? (In JBOD the directory for both drives is on the 250.)

I'm not sure what you mean. That laptop came with a half tera SSD. I split it in half, first half for OS, second half for "other".