[SOLVED] Not sure whats wrong with my build

Jul 18, 2020
So over the course of a month and a half ive ran into a few problems, most of them i fixed but one still stands out. As of now im running a ryzen 5 1600 AF with the stock cooler and a rx570. In my mind and in practice it ran fine but my temps shot up to around 95c while running anything gaming related. With that in mind i kinda scoffed it aside and decided to continue playing games. But with that im pretty sure im paying the price now, because as soon as i play anything thats a fps, i drop frames faster than anything. Just wanted to know if it is a temp problem and how can i fix it.

Tioym

Notable
Apr 5, 2020
seems like thermal paste. 1600AF works really well with the stock cooler. rx 570 can run hot but It's also known to come with bad thermal paste pre applied

try tightening the screws on the CPU fan/loosening it and see if it helps
Also if your Case is being choked because you put it in the corner of your room then yeah move it some place it can breathe from all sides also make sure you have atleast 1 intake fan and 1 out

Reactions: EnticalTentical

Tioym

Notable
Apr 5, 2020
seems like thermal paste. 1600AF works really well with the stock cooler. rx 570 can run hot but It's also known to come with bad thermal paste pre applied

Also if your Case is being choked because you put it in the corner of your room then yeah move it some place it can breathe from all sides also make sure you have atleast 1 intake fan and 1 out

Reactions: EnticalTentical
95c is too high and not recommended that you carry on using it like this. The first thing to do is make sure the cpu fan is spinning freely and clear of any dust. Next you want to try reseating the cpu cooler and replacing the thermal paste.

Reactions: Tioym

Tioym

Notable
Apr 5, 2020
Sounds like thermal throttling to me. If you want to spend the $30 for peace of mind, the CM Hyper 212 isn't a horrible way to go. Make sure you get the AM4 one.
1600AF is known to perform really well with the stock cooler I think it is thermal throttling but not because the stock fan cant keep up.

Jul 18, 2020

gotcha, and its not being blocked by anything its fairly spaced from my desk and the wall, but i checked the thermal paste for the cpu and it didn't look like it had alot so im hopefully gonna get some on Tuesday

jwcrellin

Reputable
Dec 3, 2016
Use some alcohol on a paper towel to clean the old stuff off. Tighten the cooler down in an X pattern to apply even pressure. It's almost impossible to damage your cpu from tightening your cooler down too hard.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS