Question Not sure which upgrade would be the next best choice for my PC

dustin1288

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2012
7-8 years ago would be the precise time I ordered my parts and built my first PC gaming rig. I must say just to brag, that this computer still runs amazingly and I am running top notch games on it!

Just to name a few games; Anthem; Mortal Kombat 11; World of Warcraft; Witcher 3; Doom; Mass Effect Andromeda; etc.. Some but all run on max performance settings, with the other ones being toned down slightly. I also use my computer for programming which is is a heavy hog. It runs a little bit slow but nothing horrid.

I feel I am definitely due for an upgrade but am unsure where to first start if there is even a place to start.

Specs:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600k CPU @ 3.40Ghz (8CPUs), ~3.4GHz

MotherBoard: SABERTOOTH Z77

Memory: DDR3 Corsair Vengeance 16.384MB RAM

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 EVGA

Power Supply: HX Series 750 Watt 80 PLUS Gold Certified Modular PSU

1) I thought about just snagging another 670 gpu for SLI, or even a 3rd. Or maybe I can do better if I just buy another graphics card all together? Problem is I don't even know if my PC can handle 2 or even 3 GPU's.

2) Maybe a stronger Power Supply, then continue upgrading other parts?

3) I'm also running a hard drive 1tb. Would an SSD help out with anything?

That's about all I have figured out at the moment (lol). My confusion arises on what to upgrade because I don't know if my computer can handle it properly. If i had it my way I'd slap a nicer new GPU and get a nice graphics update but I'd rather play it safe than sorry.

Any advice on any of the information I've posted in here would be greatly appreciated along with any opinions.

Thank you!

Best upgrade is to get an SSD(will make booting up and loading games much faster), and a new GPU such as an RX570, RX580, 1050ti, 1060.
I would have some concerns about a power supply that old. 750w is plenty of watts for a single GPU system, but at that age I would consider replacing it.
Total upgrade cost would probably be around $250ish

Other and possible better option is to build a new system. Putting money into an old platform isn't the best investment idea, although the parts i suggested could be used in a new system as well if you rebuild.

j3ster

Reputable
May 23, 2016
i agree with dark, it would be less hassle and more fun to just build a new pc.

if you live in the US your potential upgrade would look something like this for around 1,000USD.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel - Core i5-9400F 2.9 GHz 6-Core Processor ($167.89 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock 4 CPU Cooler ($69.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - H370 HD3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($98.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial - MX500 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($49.85 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB XC BLACK GAMING Video Card ($279.99 @ B&H)
Case: NZXT - H500 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.17 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($85.66 @ Amazon)
Total: $981.42

dustin1288

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2012
Thank you guys for the advice. Currently I'm budgeting as I'm also saving for a new truck. If I can get away with upgrading here and their until I get the parts all upgraded (probably a couple to few months) then that would be awesome. Again ty.

My one question is though, why upgrade everything if it is not needed?

j3ster

Reputable
May 23, 2016
tl;dr, they are significantly faster both in gaming and productivity (programming in your case), and you are less likely to encounter problems due to aging architecture of your current setup.
and your only upgrade ability with your setup is a new psu a better gpu and a SSD as a boot drive.

1) SLI/Crossfire is cool but for actual usability they introduce some problems, mostly screen tearing in games, more power draw for not much gain in performance plus most games really hate dual GPU configurations. as such its better or even best to just get the fastest single gpu you can get. so with your setup as radioactive stated something like an rx 570/580 or gtx 1060 6gb would be a noticeable upgrade esp. in games but your cpu might limit them to really stretch their legs in most cases.

2) new psu, a lot of good and cheap options like Seasonic m12ii evo 600+ watt or if you can spend a bit more you can do EVGA g2 or g3 or seasonic focus plus gold you can also google for the psu tier list and chose a model from there, great quality psu = long and happy system.

also which monitor do you use?

g-unit1111

Titan
tl;dr, they are significantly faster both in gaming and productivity (programming in your case), and you are less likely to encounter problems due to aging architecture of your current setup.
and your only upgrade ability with your setup is a new psu a better gpu and a SSD as a boot drive.

1) SLI/Crossfire is cool but for actual usability they introduce some problems, mostly screen tearing in games, more power draw for not much gain in performance plus most games really hate dual GPU configurations. as such its better or even best to just get the fastest single gpu you can get. so with your setup as radioactive stated something like an rx 570/580 or gtx 1060 6gb would be a noticeable upgrade esp. in games but your cpu might limit them to really stretch their legs in most cases.

2) new psu, a lot of good and cheap options like Seasonic m12ii evo 600+ watt or if you can spend a bit more you can do EVGA g2 or g3 or seasonic focus plus gold you can also google for the psu tier list and chose a model from there, great quality psu = long and happy system.

A Corsair HX is a top of the line unit. You would actually suggest downgrading to a Seasonic M12? I guess it would depend on the age of the PSU but that's the last thing in that PC that would need replacing. I'd go for a motherboard / CPU upgrade first.

dustin1288

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2012

Monitor

So maybe an upgrade on my cpu then snag a better graphics card.

j3ster

Reputable
May 23, 2016
A Corsair HX is a top of the line unit. You would actually suggest downgrading to a Seasonic M12? I guess it would depend on the age of the PSU but that's the last thing in that PC that would need replacing. I'd go for a motherboard / CPU upgrade first.

yea i know the HX series are very very good (even the old one which the op has), but op's psu is quite old and used for a while so it wont be performing at its finest esp with potential gpu/cpu upgrades, so i suggested something cheap since they would probably be on a tight budget if they would upgrade piece by piece. which the evo m12ii is good enough, still have a system with that psu and still survives and hums today.

Monitor

So maybe an upgrade on my cpu then snag a better graphics card.

my suggestion would be going for a total change of your system all together but you can still go for small upgrades here and there as g-unit suggested. a cpu and motherboard for now then change your gpu later on. but personally id wait to fully go for a new pc all together rather than upgrade piece by piece but thats just me.

g-unit1111

Titan
yea i know the HX series are very very good (even the old one which the op has), but op's psu is quite old and used for a while so it wont be performing at its finest esp with potential gpu/cpu upgrades, so i suggested something cheap since they would probably be on a tight budget if they would upgrade piece by piece. which the evo m12ii is good enough, still have a system with that psu and still survives and hums today.

Yeah that is true, depending on the age of the unit that is something to consider. You could always buy the same one if it's not too costly.