Question Not using all ram?

Jun 29, 2019
Hi,
I have a custom built pc with 16Gb (2x 8gb) of ram and recently bought two more sticks of the exact same model and installed them into my motherboards extra 2 slots available. I have cleared the cmos both by removing the battery and shorting the rtcram pins on the board. However when I boot into bios it shows all 4 sticks of ram in the DRAM status but my memory still says 16Gb rather than 32GB was wondering if I'm missing a catch here? I have tested adding one stick at a time but it still sees them but doesn't actually use them.

Motherboard;
ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming

DRam;
Corsair Vengeance LPX 2133MHz
(4x8GB)

CPU;
Intel i5-7400

Windows 10 pro

Thanks.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums my friend!

Mixing RAM modules is a 50/50 bet, they are only guaranteed compatibility in the form sold (In the same packs). Even if they are the same make and model exactly, it is irrelevant. So it could well just be that they aren't playing nice together.

Have you tried the new modules by themselves plugged into the slots as per your motherboard manual?
Equally may be worth enabling an XMP profile.

Reactions: Emozidan
Jun 29, 2019
Hi,
Thank you,

Yeah I have tried to new ones on their own and it works perfectly but if I add the old ones back in. However on boot the bios shows there is 32Gb installed, but it says I'm only using 16GB of that 32.

I just don't know what to do to resolve it.
Welcome to the forums my friend!

Mixing RAM modules is a 50/50 bet, they are only guaranteed compatibility in the form sold (In the same packs). Even if they are the same make and model exactly, it is irrelevant. So it could well just be that they aren't playing nice together.

Have you tried the new modules by themselves plugged into the slots as per your motherboard manual?
Equally may be worth enabling an XMP profile.

Hi,
Thank you,

Yeah I have tried to new ones on their own and it works perfectly but if I add the old ones back in. However on boot the bios shows there is 32Gb installed, but it says I'm only using 16GB of that 32. I did follow all the instructions of the manual though and have done builds god knows how many times but not seen this.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Hi,
Thank you,

Yeah I have tried to new ones on their own and it works perfectly but if I add the old ones back in. However on boot the bios shows there is 32Gb installed, but it says I'm only using 16GB of that 32.

Hi,
Thank you,

Yeah I have tried to new ones on their own and it works perfectly but if I add the old ones back in. However on boot the bios shows there is 32Gb installed, but it says I'm only using 16GB of that 32. I did follow all the instructions of the manual though and have done builds god knows how many times but not seen this.

I see it all the time with mixed modules. And not all boards particularly like running with all 4 DIMMS populated.
As I said, try enabling XMP prior, then installing the new modules and see if it plays nicer, may require some slight voltage changing.

Have you also looked at the max memory in msconfig > boot > advanced?

Reactions: Emozidan
Jun 29, 2019
I see it all the time with mixed modules. And not all boards particularly like running with all 4 DIMMS populated.
As I said, try enabling XMP prior, then installing the new modules and see if it plays nicer, may require some slight voltage changing.

Have you also looked at the max memory in msconfig > boot > advanced?

Yeah I'm not sure if it is a issue with the motherboard is the issue here now as I have just run a test with one stick from each kit and that works so it can't be comparability. I checked the max memory and ensured it wasn't capped but I'll try the XMP trick now and see if that works.

Jun 29, 2019
I know what you mean, but then adding mixed modules can conflict with that compatibility.
Let me know how the others work. Have you also installed latest BIOS?

Yeah I just wanted to test that they will actually run together but I have even checked in the motherboard manual and it says the motherboard supports different types/makes of DRam (although that isnt the case here) as long as they are in the corresponding DIMMs.... But yeah before I started the upgrade I ensure the bios was up to date using the EZupdate software for Asus.... However I have told it to use a XMP profile, but have been sat with a black screen for about 15minutes after I saved and quit to boot.

Jun 29, 2019
I find a lot of motherboard manuals say that, and they do support it. But they cannot guarantee it, they can only guarantee in the form sold.

If modifying XMP / voltages makes no difference, likelihood is they simply aren't working together unfortunately!

The trouble I have is the XMP doesn't seem to even enable, it leaves me with no display and then when I eventually turn it off and reboot it says overclocking failed... However this is the automatic XMP profile as I've never really touched over clocking so I wouldn't know what to change to do it manually