[SOLVED] Not using dual channel in Amd Ryzen 5700h (laptop)

Aug 5, 2021
Hi all, I'm in the market for a new laptop that needs to have a lot of cpu cores and I stumbled upon a Lenovo one which seems pretty good with an Amd ryzen 5700h (8C16T). The main issue for me here is that it has only 8 gb of RAM at 3200 MHz, out of which 4 gb is soldered to the motherboard, meaning I can upgrade only the 4 gb stick in the slot (only slot).
The question is than if I should upgrade the slotted one for a 16gb for example and lose the dual channel effect? I've read Ryzen cpu's work better in dual channel, but would you feel that the increased memory outweighs that lose?
The laptop is intended mainly for physics simulations, including software such as Matlab and COMSOL Multiphysics, with a need to be able to have 3D visualization (I've heard the onboard graphics is pretty solid for this cpu).
Thanks in advance :)

Solution
it might go onto kind of flex mode, where the denser ram will perform like dual channel, until it goes past the capacity of the other ram (for example 4+8gb, it will run fine below 8 gigs, but performance hit will enters when it went above 8 gigs.). If you need the capacity, then go for 16gb, if you need the performance, go with 4gb only.

It's pretty unfortunate that most of budget laptop do 4gb's of soldered ram with ryzen since they're working pretty much better on dual channel, and lower rank IC (for laptop users this might matter).
it might go onto kind of flex mode, where the denser ram will perform like dual channel, until it goes past the capacity of the other ram (for example 4+8gb, it will run fine below 8 gigs, but performance hit will enters when it went above 8 gigs.). If you need the capacity, then go for 16gb, if you need the performance, go with 4gb only.

It's pretty unfortunate that most of budget laptop do 4gb's of soldered ram with ryzen since they're working pretty much better on dual channel, and lower rank IC (for laptop users this might matter).

Solution

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Can you parse the model for the Lenovo laptop you're looking at? A link would help us two fold. From my experience working with laptops of this platform, you can drop in an 8GB or 16GB stick of ram to get a cumulative capacity of ram but dual channel although it's stated in CPU-Z, is questionable. Also, as per your requirements, have you looked into workstation pedigree laptops?