[SOLVED] Not very PC savvy

Netframed

Commendable
Jul 5, 2020
Hey guys I got a Asus apex xii z490 motherboard, sold my 1080 didn't realise I need a gpu just for display atm. What gpu can I get that's cheap just to watch shows? atm no gaming just to put the desktop on display monitor. thank you.

CPU is 10900k have any of these got integrated graphics? cheers

Last edited:
Solution
yes, 3300 is what my entire PC cost to make 4 months ago. I don't even know if I would take one as a gift as then it puts into question my PSU's ability to run it. Already once before had to update gpu to run my last 4k monitor. Gifts that end up costing are no fun :)

Colif

Win 11 Master

Netframed

Commendable
Jul 5, 2020
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...0900k-processor-20m-cache-up-to-5-30-ghz.html has onboard graphics

it doesn't help though as Motherboard doesn't have any video out unless its just not listed here - https://rog.asus.com/au/motherboards/rog-maximus/rog-maximus-xii-apex-model/spec/ so you probably do need a gpu

So no gaming at all? might just need a 1060 or something. I am not sure, I just thought i check on igpu situation :)
Thanks man well yeh I dunno i just want to get a display somehow

Dec 30, 2020
Ok so how do I get a display on my montior ? It's a Asus preditor x35

@Netframed

Just like @Colif said, your Motherboard doesn't have any Video Output. Get an cheap Nvidia gtx 1060 and your completely good to go with everything. Even light gaming would then be possible. You can get this card "Used" for even 50-70 € (depending on your region, I'm living in EU) That's not much cash and you could spend the money for an better Processor.

Greetings

Netframed

Commendable
Jul 5, 2020
@Netframed

Just like @Colif said, your Motherboard doesn't have any Video Output. Get an cheap Nvidia gtx 1060 and your completely good to go with everything. Even light gaming would then be possible. You can get this card "Used" for even 50-70 € (depending on your region, I'm living in EU) That's not much cash and you could spend the money for an better Processor.

Greetings
I'm saving up for the 3090 but for now is there anyway to bypass any of this even with a 10 dollar card

D

Deleted member 2838871

Doh! Don't come across that very often so didn't bother to check. Thanks for the heads up. Will check in future 👀

Yeah it is kinda weird... I just put my PC together and as sweet as this Z490 motherboard is... it doesn't have video either. (I knew that and had a GPU) I could have got the 10900KF but the price difference wasn't worth not getting the iGPU just in case I ever needed it... (on a different motherboard) LOL

Dec 30, 2020
I'm saving up for the 3090 but for now is there anyway to bypass any of this even with a 10 dollar card
I don't know if i would get 2nd hand as you don't want your cheap card hurting your new system but fairly cheap would work out I am sure.

@Netframed Of course a very cheap used card would go if you just want output something get yourself a gtx 760 or gtx 770. it's enough for output some kind of display and for surfing and watching videos. They go for about 10-40 $. So you could find something for you. But why would you want an rtx 3090 in combination with that board?

@Colif If you know how to search well and inform yourself, then getting a used card is pretty good. I've been using an used Gainward PHOENIX GTX 1080 GLS for about 4 years now with no problem it's pretty solid and runs like new. Quiet and powerful. Got it for about 250,- back in the days. And before i had a used ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 970 and this card is still used today in the Gaming-Rig of my younger sister. Not for long, because i will build her a new rig this year, including my gtx1080 because i did build a New rig for myself 5 days ago.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2020
with the mining craze still existing and the ongoing shortage of new cards, the market might be a little scarce for cards. I guess i have to believe you since i don't go looking for anything 2nd hand.
Yeah the mining problem and on top of that now the scalpers buying all good cards of the last 2 and the current generation, making the market so broken it's very hard to get good cards at a reasonable price. I did get my 6800xt for around 700,- and that's only because i got the "luck" to write with a scalper on a site for used goods and the scalper sent me a link to a site, where a new shipment of cards arrived minutes ago and i got lucky enough just to get one card for a normal price.

Colif

Win 11 Master
i got a 2070S last August and then the new cards were announced and I am like... why didn't I wait. 5 months later I could still be waiting so glad I jumped when I did. That and my gtx 980 died 3 days before i made my new PC.

lets hope op can get a fairly cheap card from somewhere.

Reactions: Netframed

Netframed

Commendable
Jul 5, 2020
@Netframed Of course a very cheap used card would go if you just want output something get yourself a gtx 760 or gtx 770. it's enough for output some kind of display and for surfing and watching videos. They go for about 10-40 $. So you could find something for you. But why would you want an rtx 3090 in combination with that board?

@Colif If you know how to search well and inform yourself, then getting a used card is pretty good. I've been using an used Gainward PHOENIX GTX 1080 GLS for about 4 years now with no problem it's pretty solid and runs like new. Quiet and powerful. Got it for about 250,- back in the days. And before i had a used ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 970 and this card is still used today in the Gaming-Rig of my younger sister. Not for long, because i will build her a new rig this year, including my gtx1080 because i did build a New rig for myself 5 days ago.
I'm saving for the 3090 for VR really flight Sim games very taxing on the GPU

Netframed

Commendable
Jul 5, 2020
outputs
Dual-link DVI-D x 1
HDMI x 1(Supports 4K@30Hz as specified in HDMI 1.4)
D-Sub x 1
https://www.msi.com/Graphics-Card/gt-710-2gd3h-lp.html

HDMI is all you need.
Monitor has 1 HDMI 1.4 port & 1 Display Port 1.2

might not like running it at 4k though, try 150% scale (win 10 might set it as default anyway). No way it runs any games :)
That's all I need atm just for browsing watching videos etc.. no gaming