Not your typical game crashing scenario. Help meee

Simba1

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2010
Hi guys,

I've posted a few times on this topic, but I'm literally going mad.

For the past 7 months I've had a problem where my game will RANDOMLY crash, the screen becomes stripes, and then the sound is a loud BUZZZZZZ ing noise. I am forced to hold the reset button as I am locked out. The screen kinda looks like this, but random colors (same pattern tho) http://yfrog.com/13024crj

I've tried everything:

-Sent the card into Diamond, got a replacement, it did the same thing.

-Updated all drivers

-Reformatted

-Disassembled comp (I built myself, and for first 6 months there were no problems) cleaned everything, even switched PCIe slots for my GPU.

-In fact, I JUST yesterday bought a new WD Velocirpator and loaded W7 on there, updated GPU drivers, installed a game, boom first 15 seconds in menu it crashed (fastest I've ever seen).

-At one point, I upgraded my system from 4GB of RAM to 8GB (Corsair, same RAM), without doing anything else. Problems seem to have started after that. Could this be the lead to something? Are you supposed to reset mobo cmos after that kind of work?

-Could it possibly by my Cox Security Suite by McAfee? I've been reading pages of people's problems, and some say it may be antivirus...

SHOULD I JUST BUY A NEW GPU? Or a PSU? I'm worried that if I buy something new and it still happens, I will kill myself.

Here are my specs:

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition
8GB Corsair DDR3 1600MHZ
Diamond HD5850 1GB
Biostar TA890FXE Mobo
Ultra 750W PSU

ANY HELP IS REALLY APPRECIATED GUYS. Thanks so much.

Simba

Wow, this is could be very frustrated situation, calm down...

Looking at your case, it could be anything. First I will check your card, do you have friend or family that have graphic card? You can try that to make sure whether the crashes are still occur or not...

Second, your PSU is modular, right? try use the other 6pin power connector to powering your HD5850, see if that make any change...

Third/Last, remove your last installed stick of RAM. Use just one stick of RAM at time, it could be one of your RAM is defective...

Try those steps, and report here again.