Note-taking netbook

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I'm looking for a netbook with a long battery life, for the following reason. My fantasy (be prepared, I'm an academic) is to walk out of my office with a textbook (e.g. Hungerford's Algebra, or Hartshorne's Algebraic Geometry) and a netbook, run up the three or four flights of stairs to my class, open the lid of my netbook, and type my notes like crazy during class. Ideally, the battery could last my entire school day (say 9am - 5pm) without _needing_ to charge, so I don't feel tethered to my office between classes, and such that I don't have to ever ever ever take my cords to class. I don't need high processing power, since I just want this thing for internet and notes, and really the notes are the most important part.

1_What is your budget? under $500; cheaper is better, meeting the specs below. I'm not looking for any extras.

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? as small as comfortable to type on. I haven't had much experience typing on small keyboards, but I'm sure 60%-90% would be comfortable. Preferably, the size of a small textbook (by which I mean the standard size used in graduate math courses). According to Amazon, the books I'm thinking of are ~9.3in x 6.3in.

3_What screen resolution do you want? a wicked high resolution would make me sooo happy.

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? I am looking for a strictly portable laptop, but with the expectation that I won't have anything else (but maybe a smartphone) for at least a year.

5_How much battery life do you need? I really really really want 6+ hours --- 8+ preferred, if possible.

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? I gave up gaming quite a long time ago, as I've been stuck on a string of crappy laptops for the last five years. My needs are minimal: flash games (e.g. kongregate..) at low settings.

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.) As I won't have another computer for awhile, playing your standard def videos in vlc / playing hulu movies is basically a necessity. I will have a tv, so if I can pipe out the video, that would be acceptable.

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need? greater than or equal to 10gig

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post the links to them.

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop? minimum one year, preferably til I finish my PhD (~four years)

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? no optical drive necessary

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. I have no known brand allegiance.

13_What country do you live in? U.S. moving to Seattle area

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed. I'd like Linux. Linux terminal makes me happy; I would love to do my note-taking during classes while in terminal, without having KDE/Gnome/X running. From my attempts to find something online with Linux, I only ran across an HP which came in both Linux/Win7 versions, and the Linux one was more expensive.... Please Help!

overclockingrocks

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
I'd go for a Gateway LT series. They come with a 1.2GHz Athlon 64, 10.1 inch screens, 160GB HD, 1GB RAM and Windows XP. Up here in Canada they run $375 taxes included so they should be less just about everywhere else if you're in the US. they should be on the Gateway site if you search. It's just it's 2am and I'm too lazy and tired to do all the searching lol.

You need to decide if you want a netbook or a compact laptop.

Netbook screens are pretty much 1024 X 600.

I recently got a Samsung N150
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834131058

The only thing I have done is pop a 2 GB SODIMM in it. Come to think of it, that's about all I can do to it.

It looks like it has a better than average (by netbook standards) keyboard.

Haven't had it long enough to have a good feel for battery life.

I got it to replace a full sized laptop and bag of accessories for when I travel.

G

Thank you for the list!

@Maverick4396, need I not be afraid of the EeePC branding? For some reason, I have a fear in the back of my mind about that ... perhaps there used to be a company by some similar name that sold crap?

Status
Not open for further replies.