Notebook as monitor for desktop pc?

Sharp

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2004

Hi

Note really a typical videocard related topic... but is related.

Is it possible to use a notebook as a monitor for a desktop pc? if so, how?
I think this would a great feature to have.

Cheers
Sharp

jafar

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2004

I demand that on Sat, 13 Nov 2004 08:16:05 +0000, Sharp may or may not
have written:

> Hi
>
> Note really a typical videocard related topic... but is related.
>
> Is it possible to use a notebook as a monitor for a desktop pc? if so, how?
> I think this would a great feature to have.

Remote desktop may be the answer for you? My wife's old underpowered
laptop works a charm through an XDMCP connection but that's under linux.

--
Jafar Calley
Registered Linux User #359623

Sharp

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2004

> have written:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > Note really a typical videocard related topic... but is related.
> >
> > Is it possible to use a notebook as a monitor for a desktop pc? if so,
how?
> > I think this would a great feature to have.
>
> Remote desktop may be the answer for you? My wife's old underpowered
> laptop works a charm through an XDMCP connection but that's under linux.

Yes, but that would not give me the power of a desktop PC, which is what I
am after. With a Video-in notebook I can buy a cheaper notebook, and use it
mobile and also as a desktop monitor connected to a more powerful powerful
at home offfice.

Without this setup, I may as well sell everything and get a desktop
replacement notebook, which will cost a bit.

cheers
Sharp

Only if your notebook have a video input, which I haven't seen any.

Else I would've bought the new iMac already for this purpose. PC/MAC, 1
setup ^^ SCHWEET!

"Sharp" <Sharp@SharpAddress.com> ¦b¶l¥ó
news:9pjld.34690$K7.12755@news-server.bigpond.net.au ¤¤¼¶¼g...

Bronney Hui wrote:

> Only if your notebook have a video input, which I haven't seen any.

If you're running a Unix variant, Windows XP, or Windows 2000 Server or
later, then you can the laptop as a thin client.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Sharp

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2004

> Bronney Hui wrote:
>
> > Only if your notebook have a video input, which I haven't seen any.
>
> If you're running a Unix variant, Windows XP, or Windows 2000 Server or
> later, then you can the laptop as a thin client.

What the hell does that mean?

Sharp

Jimbo

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2004

Sharp wrote:
>>have written:
>>

>>>Hi
>>>
>>>Note really a typical videocard related topic... but is related.
>>>
>>>Is it possible to use a notebook as a monitor for a desktop pc? if so,
>
> how?
>
>>>I think this would a great feature to have.
>>
>>Remote desktop may be the answer for you? My wife's old underpowered
>>laptop works a charm through an XDMCP connection but that's under linux.
>

> Yes, but that would not give me the power of a desktop PC, which is what I
> am after. With a Video-in notebook I can buy a cheaper notebook, and use it
> mobile and also as a desktop monitor connected to a more powerful powerful
> at home offfice.
>
> Without this setup, I may as well sell everything and get a desktop
> replacement notebook, which will cost a bit.
>
> cheers
> Sharp

I don't understand your logic. Why would you be able to buy a cheaper
notebook if it had video in? And a cheap notebook will have a poor LCD
and won't fit the desktop very well, the keyboard sitting out front. And
good CRT monitors can be purchased for less than $200, so what is the
big deal?

jimbo

Sharp wrote:

>> Bronney Hui wrote:
>>
>> > Only if your notebook have a video input, which I haven't seen any.
>>
>> If you're running a Unix variant, Windows XP, or Windows 2000 Server or
>> later, then you can the laptop as a thin client.
>
> What the hell does that mean?

If you're running one of the Windows variants I listed on your desktop, you
can use Terminal Services to run applications on the desktop using your
laptop. If you're running Unix you can run an X server on your laptop and
run applications on the desktop via the X client that is running there.

You can also use VNC for this purpose under a number of operating systems.

In each case you're using the laptop as a display for the other machine. I
don't recommend it for playing DirectX or OpenGL games, but it's fine for
many purposes.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

This is really a response to Sharp's post, that hasn't appeared yet on my
server, so I'm replying to jimbo's instead.

jimbo wrote:

> Sharp wrote:
>>>have written:

>> how?

>>>Remote desktop may be the answer for you? My wife's old underpowered
>>>laptop works a charm through an XDMCP connection but that's under linux.
>>

>> Yes, but that would not give me the power of a desktop PC, which is what
>> I am after. With a Video-in notebook I can buy a cheaper notebook, and
>> use it mobile and also as a desktop monitor connected to a more powerful
>> powerful at home offfice.

With video-in you're going to be unhappy with the results. You'll be
limited to NTSC/PAL/SECAM resolutions, which while there are differences
between them are all pretty dismal compared to what you normall expect of a
computer monitor.

What I think you're really looking for is a notebook with VGA or DVI inputs
and that's not likely to happen for a variety of reasons.

>> Without this setup, I may as well sell everything and get a desktop
>> replacement notebook, which will cost a bit.

Not sure where you are, but in the US Best Buy has Athlon-64 notebooks with
Radeon 9600 video on the shelf for $1300. That's adequate power for most
purposes and you're not going to find a notebook with video-in for less.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

TRENDING THREADS