Notebook Card Sizes?

Have a Linksys BEFW11S4v4 wireless router set up. At a local store was
advised a Linksys Notebook adapter would work in my IBM Thinkpad; but it
won't go into the PC slot and I didn't want to force it. Are there
different sizes? What should I have bought?

John Imp wrote:
> Have a Linksys BEFW11S4v4 wireless router set up. At a local store was
> advised a Linksys Notebook adapter would work in my IBM Thinkpad; but it
> won't go into the PC slot and I didn't want to force it. Are there
> different sizes? What should I have bought?

The Linksys card should fit a standard PCMCIA slot (which is
Type II, I believe). Certainly does on my old 760XL Thinkpad.
I've had both the Linksys WPC-11 and a DLink 650H in it.

Have you used any other cards in the same slot(s), such as a
modem or Ethernet card? Some laptops have a dummy plastic
placeholder inserted in the PCMCIA slot (I've seen this on a Dell
600) which has to be removed before you can use the slot for its
normal purpose.

As a last resort, you could always schlepp the notebook and the
card down to the store and let them show you how to insert it.

-- Ron

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 00:29:23 GMT, "John Imp" <jonimp@verizon.net>
wrote:

>Have a Linksys BEFW11S4v4 wireless router set up. At a local store was
>advised a Linksys Notebook adapter would work in my IBM Thinkpad; but it
>won't go into the PC slot and I didn't want to force it. Are there
>different sizes? What should I have bought?

Don't force it. They're different bus widths and therefore have
slightly different connectors. Your unspecified model IBM Thinkpad
probably has a 16-bit PCMCIA slot. You cannot insert a 32-bit
"CardBus" type wireless card into a 16-bit PCMCIA slot. However, a
16-bit card will fit in either. In general (there are exceptions)
the faster 802.11g wireless cards come in 32-bit CardBus flavour,
while the slower 802.11b cards use 16-bit PCMCIA.

See:
http://www.pcmcia.org
for some details.
Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

Ronald Hands - I did just that; took them down to the store for help and
got it. Seems there is an upper and lower slot. Thanks.
Jeff Liebermann - You were right; a l6 bit slot it is. You guys were
great and everything is working fine. Thanks again.

> On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 00:29:23 GMT, "John Imp" <jonimp@verizon.net>
> wrote:
>
> >Have a Linksys BEFW11S4v4 wireless router set up. At a local store was
> >advised a Linksys Notebook adapter would work in my IBM Thinkpad; but it
> >won't go into the PC slot and I didn't want to force it. Are there
> >different sizes? What should I have bought?
>
> Don't force it. They're different bus widths and therefore have
> slightly different connectors. Your unspecified model IBM Thinkpad
> probably has a 16-bit PCMCIA slot. You cannot insert a 32-bit
> "CardBus" type wireless card into a 16-bit PCMCIA slot. However, a
> 16-bit card will fit in either. In general (there are exceptions)
> the faster 802.11g wireless cards come in 32-bit CardBus flavour,
> while the slower 802.11b cards use 16-bit PCMCIA.
>
> See:
> http://www.pcmcia.org
> for some details.
> Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558