Notebook mini laptop for daughter cannot decide which one to get

Shaun5817

Distinguished
May 2, 2012
Hi I’m going to get my daughter and notebook mini laptop for her to take to college for her work i’ve looked online but there are so many to choose from can anybody recommend A good quality reliable notebook mini laptop 11.6 in screen i’m willing to pay £300

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
Do her a favor and avoid the small ones like that. They are a rather niche product good for very basic uses like Email, browsing, and Streaming. If you have to work on them often you will find the keyboards to be annoying, the storage to be low, the RAM to be limited and the battery life stinks. A good size for a college student will be around a 13-14 inch, you have good storage options and upgrade potential as well as more RAM and larger battery capacity all while not adding that much more bulk to a backpack over the smaller ones. You will find the best hardware though on 15-17 inch units at the price range.

I have a 21 year son in College, a 16-year-old Daughter in High School taking College Classes so I tried that route to start with... they didn't like it. 😕

Sagar_20

Distinguished
Acer Aspire 5s Ryzen-3 model would be the best bang for your buck.

Portable gadgets are mostly underpowered and tend to be expensive.

Upgradability is out of the question.

May be take a look at the 2019 Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga 11e.

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
Acer Aspire 5s Ryzen-3 model would be the best bang for your buck.

Portable gadgets are mostly underpowered and tend to be expensive.

Upgradability is out of the question.

May be take a look at the 2019 Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga 11e.

It's not that portable gadgets are underpowered, it's the smaller the form factor and the cheaper the price the more underpowered you get.

Hardware-wise what you find on a 11.6 inch 2in1 or a 17-inch Laptop is vastly different. The popular trend now is the smaller size but to enjoy using them you need to look at starting at £500.