Notebook or no Notebook ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

parmsandhu

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2005
Hi Guys and Gals

I am a Student and currently doing my Dual Diploma in Website Development and Internetworking and next year i am moving to RMIT for a full Time Degree in Bachelors of Applied Science. This Degree comes under IT but most of the stuff related to Physics. Basically i have to work on Programming, 3D and AI with advanced Networking and there`s gotta me 11more Electives all corresponding to these stuff. This is a Proper 4yr degree but after Exsumptions it will be shortened to 2yrs and i already have a talk with RMIT officials to crimp it down really hard by removing all the holidays for me, so i finish it in 1yr as i need to do my degree as soon as possible. So, i guess i will have to get a Lappy with Decent Specs.

I have given it a long thought and here is the list of thing i need in the Lappy:

1. Pentium M or Turion from 1.6 to 1.8ghz (other specs doesn`t justify the money spent)

2. 256 to 512 RAM but with atleast another spare slot, so i can atleast put 1gb stick there.

3. 14.1 to 15 inch display, as i need to read a lot. Wide Screen is welcome as the Keyboard will be more wider and will be good.

4. 40gb to 60gb HDD as i already have 400Gb External Backup Drive and just need the Lappy HDD for School work only.

5. LAN is must and normally comes in a Lappy. Modem, Wifi, Bluetooth, WAN all will be rubbish for me as i don`t need them. Wifi can be considered but rest needs to be justified for the price. As i would like to save that money and get more RAM and CPU power.

6. Longer Battery is a must as i will need to last long classes (but i can also manufacture external battery packs is needed for quick charging).

7. Need a dedicated graphics solution, so i wanna play a game while having a break from study, i can.

Please feel free to give any suggestiong or criticism as there`s still 3-5months left for me to make decision and purchase. but i will need it in that time for sure.

Cheers
Parm

RichPLS

Champion
Go for as much RAM now as you can or at least keep an expansion slot open...
Then as fast a Turion you can afford, like the 1.8...
15" is a really good sized widescreen size...
Hard drive capacity you think you need, but get the 7200 rpm model for performance, sound like you will use it.
Decide you best networking options, LAN is usually standard.
I would think the bat life on an extended life main, with a spare would last most of the classroom day.
I am not a fan of the intergrated grafix either.

parmsandhu

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2005
Well i don`t like Compaq`s Design much. They got everything right except the Design.

I am in Australia so no Best Buy or Newegg, Can only try local retailers, i got a friend and he will probably get all the laptops i will order and with the exact specifications but i wanna try and stuck to Online direct sales as retailers will always keep some margin for themselves.

I forgot to mention I wanna stick to Sony, IBM, Acer, Fujitsu, Dell, Hp. But because i am a student with really not much to spare, the list i have is Dell, Acer, Hp. Others are way too expensive for me.

Cheers

Well i don`t like Compaq`s Design much. They got everything right except the Design.

I am in Australia so no Best Buy or Newegg, Can only try local retailers, i got a friend and he will probably get all the laptops i will order and with the exact specifications but i wanna try and stuck to Online direct sales as retailers will always keep some margin for themselves.

I forgot to mention I wanna stick to Sony, IBM, Acer, Fujitsu, Dell, Hp. But because i am a student with really not much to spare, the list i have is Dell, Acer, Hp. Others are way too expensive for me.

Cheers
Have you looked at Gateway? What's the big differanse in HP and Compaq? That you don't like Compaq. :mrgreen:

parmsandhu

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2005

Cheers
Have you looked at Gateway? What's the big differanse in HP and Compaq? That you don't like Compaq. :mrgreen:

There`s isn`t much difference between HP in terms of working and other stuff. But they vary way too much in Design. Hp`s making slick looking laptops in black colour, while Compaq`s making impression like an old iBook with really extended belly and big ass. I was shopping around today in MEGAMART and CLIVE PEETERS and saw few nice looking Hp Laptops and they were okay except not much told about the specs. Still searching. Altough a friend is giving a good deal on an ACER Travelmate.

danizaken

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2005
I don't know what kind of performance you need, but if you will use 3d modeling programs, then you need an ATI firegl based laptop.
Check out the IBM thinkpad T series.

parmsandhu

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2005
Hi Guys, i really appriciate the replies :p
I went out to different markets and found following laptops appealing to me.

Compaq Presario V2402AU (I remember i said i don`t like Compaq`s Design but it seems like a good deal) $1799(AUD)

AMD Turion 64 Processor ML-32 (1.8Ghz)
512MB DDR333
60GB 4200RPM
DVD ±RW with Double Layer Support
14" WXGA with BrightView
ATI Radeon XPRESS 200M IGP, up to 128MB shared with system memory
LAN - 802.11b⁄g WLAN with 125HSM⁄SpeedBooster support; Integrated 10⁄100 LAN
MODEM - High speed 56K modem,
SPEAKERS - Altec Lansing speakers;
CARD READER - 6-in-1 media reader
USB PORT - 3 USB 2.0
PC CARD SLOT - 1 Type I⁄II PC Card slot
IEEE1394 PORT - Yes
SOFTWARE - Microsoft Windows XP Home, Microsoft Works 8.0, Microsoft Money 2005, Microsoft Encarta Standard, Microsoft Windows Media Player 10, WinDVD, Sonic RecordNow, Muvee AutoProducer DVD Edition, Adobe Acrobat Reader 6.0, Apple iTunes for Windows, Symantec Norton Anti-Virus 2005 (60 days live update), Symantec Norton Internet Security 2005 (60 days live update)
WEIGHT - 2.44kg
WARRANTY - 1 year warranty

Samsung R50 $1999(AUD) (looks quite solid and rugged but god knows, i don`t like Samsung much)

Intel Pentium M 740 Processor (533MHz) 1.73GHz
512MB ⁄ Max 2GB
60GB (5400RPM)
Super Multi Dual Layer
15" WXGA Gloss
ATI Mobility Radeon X300
TV-OUT PORT - SVHS⁄Component
AUDIO - AC '97 sound
LAN - 10⁄100 Ethernet UTP, Intel PRO⁄Wireless 2200BG: Intel 802.11g
MODEM - 56Kbps ⁄ V.92
SPEAKERS - Embedded stereo speakers
USB PORT - 4 (USB 2.0)
PC CARD SLOT - 1 Type II slot
IEEE1394 PORT - 1 (Powered port: 6 pin)
SOFTWARE - Windows XP Home, Adobe Reader, Norton AntiVirus 2005,
ESTIMATED BATTERY LIFE - Not specified by Manufacturer
WEIGHT - Not specified by Manufacturer
WARRANTY - 1 year onsite next business day response (conditions apply)

don`t bother about the "DVD ±RW with Double Layer Support" or "Super Multi Dual Layer ???" drives as these will be downgraded to DVD-CDRW drive as i don`t need to burn DVD`s on the move and i don`t think its worth for me. Also the HDD`s will be swaped for 7200rpm ones at the same moment and i will get a stick of 1024mb ram from local shop and stick it there before even turning on the system.

Also, I met my old teacher today and he`s really respectable to me. According to him, in next 6-8months the dual core laptops are coming out and hence the compitition will be set on them and the laptops with Pentium M and AMD Turion will get real low on price and will be the best deal after 4-6 months.

Wut do you guys say about it ????

Also for performance, my main purpose will be Photoshop and Video Editing softwares running on for long periods of time(hence extra ram) otherwise i will run softwares like VB, Access Databases, hopefully Oracle but mostly it will be word files and Access Databases running all the time during classes.

Please give some constructive criticism.......

Status
Not open for further replies.