Notebook RAM problems

G

Hi All!

I've run into a problem with upgrading my notebook's memory, and I would like to ask for the community's help.
This is an HP Compaq 2230s laptop with the Intel GL40 Chipset and a Celeron T1600 cpu.

The story:

The computer originally came with a 1GB Samsung module and another empty slot. I checked on the website of HP and Intel, and came to the conclusion that this laptop supports PC6400 DDR2 ram. So I bought a 2GB CSX branded module. After installing it the computer will not boot, there is a blank screen and the caps lock led blinks three times then repeats this pattern. According to HP this means a memory problem during P.O.S.T. I've tried all possible combinations with the slots, taking out the original ram module, leaving it in etc, the result is always the same.

Now here is the confusing part: HP's site claims this laptop supports 800mhz ram. However the service manual also found on the HP site says it can take 667mhz ram. I've checked the original Samsung module itself, and the sticker on it says PC2-6400s-666.
However if I check with CPU-Z under the memory tab it says this:
DRAM Frequency: 332.5 Mhz

If in CPU-Z I go to the SPD tab it says Max Bandwidth: PC2-6400 (400Mhz).

So the question is, could my problem be because I bought the wrong RAM? I'm leaning towards the new ram module being faulty because as far as I know DDR2 ram is backwards compatible so an 800mhz module would still run at the lower frequency in a laptop supporting 667mhz, but I'm not sure and would like to know what others here think.

Thank you very much in Advance!

Tom

G

Thank you for your reply!

I've checked out the manual you linked to, and it does mention a 2048+1024 ram combination as possible. It also only applies the warning about different frequencies in terms of performance loss, but I didn't find anything that said that it wouldn't work.
Anyway I don't think I mixed different frequencies. The original ram is PC6400, and the new one I bought is also PC6400. So they should be both 800mhz, however CPU-Z says the original module runs at 667mhz, I don't know why.
Anyway, even if I did screw up with the frequency specs of the new ram I got, can it cause the computer to fail to even get me to the bios?

Thanks,

Tom

G

Oh yeah, one more thing. Just checked with HWmonitor, temperature of idle cpu core 0 is 49°C, core 1 is 50°C. Ambient temperature of the room is about 28°C. Aren't those core temperatures just a tad high?

Thanks,

Tom

MikeJRamsey

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2009
Thank you for your reply!

I've checked out the manual you linked to, and it does mention a 2048+1024 ram combination as possible. It also only applies the warning about different frequencies in terms of performance loss, but I didn't find anything that said that it wouldn't work.
Anyway I don't think I mixed different frequencies. The original ram is PC6400, and the new one I bought is also PC6400. So they should be both 800mhz, however CPU-Z says the original module runs at 667mhz, I don't know why.
Anyway, even if I did screw up with the frequency specs of the new ram I got, can it cause the computer to fail to even get me to the bios?

Thanks,

Tom

You are right on the frequencies. I reworked my reply as I looked at various resources but failed to take that part out. Oh well.

[strike]On the 2048+1024, possible is not the same as recommended. Reading that spec, I would think twice before trying it. Many boards require that they match.[/strike]

Scratch that! I misread the table. :eek:

So after all this, I guess I haven't helped you. Perhaps the memory is bad. What happens if you insert just the new chip in the primary slot by itself?

MikeJRamsey

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2009
Oh yeah, one more thing. Just checked with HWmonitor, temperature of idle cpu core 0 is 49°C, core 1 is 50°C. Ambient temperature of the room is about 28°C. Aren't those core temperatures just a tad high?

Thanks,

Tom

The spec says Operating temperature range is -10° - 65 °C

However, allowed is not the same as recommended. :)

See if any of these suggestions help.
http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=60914

Mike

G

If I insert the new module into any of the slots by itself the computer does the same thing; no boot, blank screen, blinking caps lock light.
I'm leaning towards a bad memory unit, will return it tomorow to the shop I bought it from, and then see what happens.

Thanks,
Tom

G

Yeah, just an update, wnet back to the store got the ram exchanged, but the computer does exactly the same thing with the new ram. HP support referred me to a service centre, but I don't see how can the laptop be broken if it works perfectly with the original ram.

Tom

MikeJRamsey

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2009
Yeah, just an update, wnet back to the store got the ram exchanged, but the computer does exactly the same thing with the new ram. HP support referred me to a service centre, but I don't see how can the laptop be broken if it works perfectly with the original ram.

Tom

Please post exactly the type of memory that you have, everything it says.

mrmason2

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
hey to just take all power from the computer and let it sit then try to put back in the old memory if that doesn't work .then obtain the same memory it came with and repeat the process ... mrmason2@yahoo.com