Question Notebook Ram speeds?

Nov 10, 2022
so i have a question on my notebook's max ram speed, its an past gen Samsung Odyssey, the one with the i7-7700HQ and GTX 1050, on Intel's site it says the i7 only supports 2400mhz ram speeds, but im looking at some ram sticks to buy to make an upgrade and theres a very good value deal on some CL19 3200mhz sticks but the 2666mhz are obviously cheaper
if i get the 3200mhz will i be able to make use of the speeds if i enable some oc xmp type thing or there's just no way i can get past the 2400mhz mark?

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Could you please pass on the SKU/model for your Samsung Laptop? Per the laptop, your threshold will be DDR4-2400MHz, so anything higher in speed will be downclocked to 2400MHz, please note that I'd look into tight timing DDR4-2400MHz ram kits as opposed to higher frequency kits. While you're on your laptop, can you go into BIOS and see if there are any options to overclock your current stick of ram? If not, then no, you can't go higher than 2400MHz.

Also note, please make sure your BIOS is updated to the latest version prior to swapping the old stick of ram for a dual channel ram kit.

Nov 10, 2022
the actual setup is an 2x4 dual channel, that means it'll go well with the upgrade? i also couldn't really find the number for the model on the box but it has the same chassi as this one NP800G5M-X01US but mine has a gtx 1050. do you know how i can check my bios version and maybe update it? if i dont have the option for the ram frequency change on this bios do you think i can risk pulling up some custom bios that allows me to? also thank you so much for that answer it was perfect in so many levels