[SOLVED] Notebook shows random gray stripes and freezes

Jun 15, 2019
Hello everyone.

Since thursday I have been facing some problems with my Notebook. Some times it runs ok for about an hour and, all of the sudden It starts to appear some stripes (or rectangles if you will) and It freezes. And sometimes it does not even turns on (it blinks the turned on led and then it turns off). It also showed (twice) the stripes on the boot (so it is not a driver problem).

I have opened it, cleaned It and switched the RAM (it has 2 of them) and it worked for almost one hour without any problem, but then, boom, it happened again.

It is an 2013 Avell (Brazilian brand) Notebook with a Clevo motherboard, 8Gb of RAM, an I7 3630QM, GTX 660M and I use an external monitor in conjunction with the original display. And the problem happens with the external display too, so I don't think it is an display connection problem. I was able to take some pictures, if that helps with anything. If it does, please let me know and I will try to post and link It here.

By the way, the last time I cleaned it and changed the thermal paste was in january this year.

I would guess it is a GPU problem or a bad contact with anything.

Any help would be great, Sorry for anything poorly written, I am doing this with my smartphone. Thank you.

Update: So, I have removed a RAM and the Notebook turn on fine. I will check for the next few hours if there's anything new about it.

Update 2: I tried to turn it on today and it fail to do so. I switched the RAM, nothing happened, switched the slot and nothing. I kept doing this and cleaned the memories for about one hour and it was doing just the same: it turns on for 3 seconds and it dies. But when I remove all the RAM, it turn on and keep on until I turn it off (without any display signal).
So, I guess the RAM sticks are dead.

Update 3: It turns out that it was the Motherboard that is dying. And apparently there is no way to fix my Mobo.
Well, thanks for the help @sadguy1337 .

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2019
It should be motherboard problem.
Try disconnect your GPU and your second monitor and see if it happen again.
Please post screenshots, it will help a lot.
Thank you for your reply.
How could I disconnect the GPU from a Notebook without removing it? (I don't think I would have the courage to remove it :( )

sadguy1337

Prominent
Jun 16, 2019
Thank you for your reply.
How could I disconnect the GPU from a Notebook without removing it? (I don't think I would have the courage to remove it :( )
Uh sorry my bad, then just disconnect everything from laptop only keyboard and mouse should stay and see if problem is fixed. Post screenshots you said and I will tell you more.

Last edited:
Reactions: Megakr
Jun 15, 2019
So, I already tried to turn it on with everything disconnected (external monitor and mouse), but it doens't make any difference.
The images:
IMG-20190615-122217.jpg

IMG-20190615-122226.jpg

Sometimes it turns on and works for a few minutes. But mostly it just stays on for 3 seconds.
By the way, it does once in a while some weird click noises (which I never heard before).
Edit: I already tried with and without the battery and/or external power and it does not make any difference.