Notebook to hd tv hdmi audio problem

reps

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012
Hello, I'm Alessio, I'm italian and I'm newbye on this forum.

Let's show you my problem.

I have an HP Pavilion dv6-3102sl notebook with Windows 7 64 bit home edition.
if i connect my laptop to my hd tv via hdmi i have no sound... but the laptop's speakers sounds. IDT High defnition works.
In this case if i change output to Ati High definition Audio I can't play mp3 files, and it takes no control of applications sound.
Particularly the ATi high definition volume control never moves.
But if i connect my playstation 3 to the same television i can listen to it.
And if i connect my hp laptop to another hd tv i can listen to this too!
Why does my ATI High Definition Audio create this problem?

Sorry for my bad english.

Idonno

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
Hello, Alessio, I'm not Italian but, I understand your English well. Certainly allot better than you would understand my Italian. :D

The AMD High Definition Audio Device is your video cards Audio Device and only works in conjunction with some type of video for playing the video's sound only. This will not work for MP3's or any audio that isn't directly related to the Video you are watching. Sounds stupid I know but that is the way it is, this all has to do with (HDCP) High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection. :sol:

In a case where you are connected to a TV as a monitor your desktop is your video.

reps

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012

thank's a lot for your answer :) ,

I understand what you are saying, but I can play mp3s via hdmi with the same laptop... it's very strange.

Anyway, do you have any solutions for this problem?

Thank You.

Idonno

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011

Honestly, I've never heard of that before (mp3s via hdmi). Maybe it's something new? I really don't know, sorry.

Anybody else?

reps

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012

sorry, i just want to say that with another television I play mp3s with the notebook connect to the tv via hdmi.

;)

My bad english doesn't help me.

reps

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012

out of the tv, if the ati high definition audio is selected

Idonno

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
If you go to Control panel >sound>playback tab you can select your playback device.

If i understand you correctly with HDMI connected to your laptop one TV allowed you to play MP3's through your laptop speakers and one didn't.

That could have been because one TV had the laptops HDMI output selected as it's input and one didn't. :sol:

reps

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012

No, unfortunately both th tvs had the laptops hdmi output selected as input... :pt1cable: :cry:

Idonno

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
OK, well in that case I have to admit I just don't know. I hate that.

However you still could try selecting the output Via; Control panel >sound>playback tab, you can then select your playback device. :sol:

reps

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012

ok, you are very gentle.

So, with my LG hd TV and my hp laptop, I selected the ATI high definition audio as the default audio device.

The problem is that I have no sound through it... no bouncy green audio level...

nothing.

Idonno

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
The ATI high definition audio as the default audio device is the one you want for HDMI. You don't have anything muted right? And your sound is turned up on both your laptop and TV right? :sol:

reps

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012

Right

reps

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012

if I try to play a video, I can play it, but I have no sound through the ati hdmi device...

If I try to play an audio file, I can't play it.

reps

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012
when I do the sound test for the ati hdmi audio output, I have an error:

the device is used by another application.

reps

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012

Yes, it does.

reps

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012

ATI HDMI Audio Output( ATI High Definition Audio Device)

speakers and 2 channel headphones (IDT HIgh Definition Audio Codec)

Independent headphones (IDT HIgh Definition Audio Codec)

Idonno

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
I have a sharp TV hooked to my laptop via HDMI. When I look at my playback devices I have "Sharp HDMI" listed which is what I use.

The fact that your laptop works on another TV tells me that this is a not an issue with your laptop.

Some TV's will let you select an alternate audio source (usually the 3.5mm headphone plug) when using a computer through HDMI. Check your TV's settings to make sure you don't have an alternate audio source selected for that HDMI port. :sol:

reps

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012

nothing, I don't have many options on the tv...

popatim

Titan
Have you tried updating the ATI drivers?

Is HDMI audio enabled in the bios? (if there is a setting)

Theres no problems with any device in Device manager? Usually theres 2 entries in device manager for ati high definition... that need to be enabled/working.