Notebook upgrade?

Dare

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2004
I'd like to upgrade my Notebook hard drive, but don't see many options. It's a new Toshiba Satellite (P4 not Centrino), but only came with an 80GB Hitachi 5400 RPM. Hitachi makes a 7200, but it's 60GB. I really need speed, I'm always seeing a solid HD light and waiting waiting waiting. I'd be willing to use an external drive or bay drive if I can run it as my boot. Any 10,000rpm's out there for notebooks?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If you're seeing a lot of drive activity while using programs you might be using virtual memory where the system should use RAM, which would indicate you need more RAM.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Dare

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2004
Yes I know, 512MB on this notebook, and I could definately use 1GB, but the slots are full. Anyway, I'm sure the small 5400rpm disk drive is what's slowing it down when loading up software for example. But I'm thinking an upgrade from 5400 to 7200 2" isn't going to do the job. That's why I'm asking what my options are, how can I get a fast drive on this notebook??

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
As far as I know 72k is the limit for notebook drives, I thought they were available up to 80GB however.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
New 10K drive just came out in 2.5" form factor.

"If youre paddling upstream in a canoe and a
wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!"

"Battling Gimps and Dimbulbs HERE at THGC"

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
That's insane considering the thermal aspects of most notebooks.