Notebook uses both integrated and dedicated GPU in some games

GreenDave113

Prominent
Jun 4, 2017
Hello, I have a problem, my notebook uses both GPUs in some games (Nvidia Optimus).

I have an MSI GE62VR 6RF notebook. It has an IntelHD 530 and a GTX 1060 3G.

I first noticed it, when I opened GTA V after a long time. It also happens in Far Cry 4. But no other games I have tried share this issue.
MSI Afterburner reported the framerate to be 60FPS, but it felt like much less than that, maybe even less than 30FPS.

My IntelHD usage was 100%. My framerate suddenly went to exactly 60FPS. When I looked at the ground, it went up to about 80FPS, and then the Nvidia GPU usage went down, so that I had 60FPS again (that's the framerate that Afterburner reported).

This means, that it's not just a problem of the game using the integrated GPU (that can be fixed in the Nvidia Control Panel by switching the preferred graphics processor).
The game uses my Nvidia GPU, but for some reason also uses the integrated GPU, which bottlenecks the game. It seems that the game is being rendered at 60FPS, but the integrated GPU cannot send all those frames to the display, so it feels like the framerate is much lower.

When I Alt+Tab out and back into the game, it runs normally and the IntelHD is running only at about 3%, but after a few seconds the IntelHD climbs to 100% usage and the game runs bad again.

I have found that enabling V-sync gets rid of the issue, but I really don't want to use V-sync. My laptop also has an HDMI output, which is connected to the Nvidia GPU, so if I have the game displayed on an external monitor, the game cannot use the Integrated GPU and thus runs normally.
I have not had this issue from the beginning, it only appeared recently.

From the way it acts, it leads me to believe, that the integrated GPU is busy and cannot display all the frames the Nvidia GPU puts in its frame buffer.

Reactions: WhiteShde71

GreenDave113

Prominent
Jun 4, 2017

That is not a solution I am willing to use. I don't use my laptop for gaming exclusively and I need to use it on battery sometimes. Only using the Nvidia GPU would severely reduce battery life. But thank you for your response anyway :)

GreenDave113

Prominent
Jun 4, 2017

Sadly, this is not my issue. But it is all that I find when I look for a solution. That's also why I created this thread. I did not find anyone else with the same issue.

The thing is, it IS using my Nvidia GPU. But the integrated GPU is overwhelmed by something. I just tested Far Cry 4 again. The game seems to try to stay at 60FPS, adjusting the Nvidia GPU usage. When I look at the ground, the game goes up to 80FPS, and then the Nvidia GPU usage goes down so that I have 60FPS again.
The integrated GPU is running at 100% meanwhile. It seems like the game is being rendered at 60FPS, but the integrated GPU cannot send all those frames to the display, so it feels like 30 or less FPS.

Aug 20, 2019
Has anyone found a fix to this yet???
I am having the same problem and I can't seem to find anyone else with this problem other than
GreenDave113.
I have an HP Omen 15 Laptop with an i7-8750H, 16GB RAM, and a 1050ti.

the following picture is the integrated and dedicated GPU usage while playing a game in full screen and then minimizing it off the screen.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1yYMF7wvtQmD2AOTgy5h-rEelqCIJCUeL

As you can see when minimizing the game the integrated GPU usage drops indicating that the game is running on intel GPU but the Nvidia GPU levels remain almost the same, also when viewing the game from the processes tab it indicates that the Nvidia GPU is being used.

Troubleshooting attempts:

-Updating intel and Nvidia drivers
-Setting the game to use "High-Performance Nvidia card" in control panel
-Power option at High performance
and all the solutions on this page.

Please Help,
Thanks.

Zymcio

Commendable
Nov 15, 2016
Hey @WhiteShde71 and @GreenDave113 u can only thx nvidia optimus.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJfHr-Y57LY

I have msi laptop with this nvidia optimus and sadly cant disable in bios :(. In short when your dGPU (nvidia) finish the job he must transer all stuff to iGPU (intel) and then iGPU put video on your monitor. That why u see nvidia GPU 70% and Intel HD 5-10% use

https://www.notebookcheck.pl/fileadmin/_migrated/pics/Optimus_Usage_03.png

Second it sucks so much cuz u lose preformance in game... cuz if game is CPU base then it will hurt more like most of MMO.

The best option is to buy laptop with swichable GPU where u can disable iGPU. Ofc this mean u will lose battery life