Notebook with Intel HD Graphics vs Nvidia Geforce: Does it matter at all for Adobe CC software?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dinomight

Reputable
Feb 6, 2015
Hey guys, new poster here, and I've been searching diligently but haven't come across quite the answer I'm looking for on this question, although I did see a similar one about this particular computer; the link to the full details on the computer are below.

http://store.hp.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/us/en/pdp/Laptops/hp-envy---15t-touch-laptop-l8c65av-1

Anyway, I'm a freelance designer, primarily working with Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, Muse, and some occasional InDesign. I do some occasional gaming on my current laptop (Sims, Simcity, nothing too taxing), but the main concern is definitely with how well it will run for work. My current HP Envy laptop is almost two years old, and I'm leaning towards getting another one in this line that has much better specs. I know getting more memory and a faster CPU will make a huge difference...right now I only have 4 GBs RAM and an i5 processor.

All that said, I'm most concerned with the following options, because I really don't know much about the pros and cons of the Intel HD Graphics versus the Nvidia Geforce. Plus, I'm wondering if the different i7 configurations that are used with the Nvidia would negatively impact the Adobe stuff.

Here are the options I'm trying to choose between:

• 5th generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5500U Dual Core Processor + 2GB NVIDIA GeForce 840M Graphics

4th generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4720HQ Quad Core Processor + Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600

5th generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5500U Dual Core Processor + 4GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M Graphics

I really appreciate any advice! Like I say, the main thing is running the Adobe CC well. I'd also like the computer to last me a little longer than 2 years this time, so I'm trying to plan ahead a little. I guess the ultimate question is simply will Adobe software perform as well with any of those configurations? If that's the case, I'd like to go with the Nvidia in case I'm working with any more GPU intensive things in the future plus the benefit for any gaming I might do.

dinomight

Reputable
Feb 6, 2015

Awesome, that's the one I thought looked the best too. The only thing that worried me a little is the processor being listed as dual core instead of quad. Think that should be any concern?

dinomight

Reputable
Feb 6, 2015
Ok, well after looking at the laptop some more and chatting with HP a bit about some other aspects, I finally placed my order. Think I've got a winner. Thanks for the help on the graphics!

Jake-13

Reputable
May 15, 2015

I am in the exact same position as you, although I don't do any rendering or photoshop. But I am looking at a HP laptop with either the 5500U and gtx graphics, or the 4720hq with intergrated HD 4600 graphics. I actually placed a order with the 5500U, but canceled it, and changed to the 4720. It is being built for me right now and will ship next week. Now I am second guessing my decision and thinking of going back to the 5500U.

May I ask what made you choose the 5500U and gtx graphics? What did HP tell you to finalize you decision?

Status
Not open for further replies.