[SOLVED] Notebooks supporting Samsung 970 EVO

ggelli2014

Honorable
Aug 27, 2018
Hi to everyone,

I would like to ask how to determine if a notebook supports an SSD of the following type

Samsung 970 EVO 500GB - NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 SSD

A list of notebooks supporting this SSD would also be useful.

Thank you very much.

Solution

A car going to 60 in 4 seconds vs 5 seconds is a good amount faster, but for a passenger you probably would not be able to tell any difference, to you they are both just "fast". It is not worth the time and money spent worrying about exact type of SSD in the system for 99% of users.
If you list your requirements for a laptop and budget it would be a lot simpler to point to a few to get instead of trying to find every model that can run it. Did you try doing a web search for "laptops with NVMe support"? That should give you the same result as asking the question.

ggelli2014

Honorable
Aug 27, 2018
Thank you for your answer. I did it, and I found this list: https://laptopmedia.com/laptop-m-2-ngff-ssd-compatibility-list/

I think the most suitable for my budget (at most 600$) is Dell Inspiron 15 5570 but I could not understand if on this notebook the OS can be installed on the SSD pcie.

For instance, I would like to know if an SSD pcie could be installed as a boot drive in the following notebooks
HP Pavilion 15-cw0998nl 2GHz 2500U AMD Ryzen 5 15.6
Acer Aspire A315-53G-551Y i5 15.6

Thank you very much

USAFRet

Titan

In some use cases, yes.
Transferring large sequential data back and forth, for instance.

In most normal use? Not enough to benefit.
I've read many people in here who have made that switch, and seen no perceptible user facing difference.

Yes, the raw numbers on the NVMe are faster.
But all SSD's give the benefit of near zero access time over a spinning HDD. That is their prime benefit.

For most users, if I snuck in and swapped their NVMe for a m.2 SATA drive, they wouldn't notice.

If you have a big budget, and do a lot of operations where NVMe would actually benefit over SATA SSD, then maybe.
But at $600, that price difference would be better applied to other components.

What do you use this for? What other drives might be in this system?

A car going to 60 in 4 seconds vs 5 seconds is a good amount faster, but for a passenger you probably would not be able to tell any difference, to you they are both just "fast". It is not worth the time and money spent worrying about exact type of SSD in the system for 99% of users.

Solution

ggelli2014

Honorable
Aug 27, 2018
I use it mostly for office tasks, internet and a bit of gaming.
However, if there is no big difference, not even in the boot time, then you are right, there is no point in getting an NVMe based drive.

USAFRet

Titan

Correct.

A Camaro Z-28 (SATA SSD) and a Corvette (NVMe) are both fast, in comparison to a Civic (HDD).
The Corvette has a higher absolute top speed over the Camaro. But if you only drive it around town (office tasks, etc), you never see or get to use that top speed you paid extra money for.

I have an i7-4790K with a Samsung 850 Pro (SATA). Windows 8.1 takes 6s to boot, and the splash screen for Office 2010 appears for significantly less than 1s. I'd say that's fast enough! :)