Nothing happens when i press the power button.

Arioly

Reputable
Mar 24, 2014
Hello.
So, yesterday my pc was just fine, working perfectly.
Today i pressed the power button and absolutely nothing happens.
My room is cold and almost everyday when i fall back to sleep when i shut the pc down i hear cracks in the case but thats because going from warm to cold again creates contraction, at least i think so. Before 10 days i had some problems with my pc as well. I oiled the psu fan bearing ,barely a drop of sewing oil because it was making noise. After that the pc turned on and i had to reset the CMOS in order to open it up again (thank to you guys). Now after 10 days of perfectly functioning it is not even booting (it does nothing when i press power button)
What do you guys suggest me to fix this?

Thank you.

My pc Specs:
Fx 8350 (stock speed)
2*4 gb gskill 1866mhz ram
msi gtx 770 oc
asus m5a97 evo r2.0 mobo
xfx pro 650 watt psu
zalman z9 case

Peripherals:
mouse
keyboard
webcam
speakers
xbox controller

Solution

Anything that has a good reputation should be fine and 600w is more than enough for your rig. You could possibly upgrade to even 750w for about 10-15 dollars more to completely future proof your computer. I have the Corsair CS750M, a 750w PSU that is gold certified. Its a pretty solid PSU and provides my rig with adequate room for upgrades. If you're on a tight budget, anything by XFX, EVGA, and SeaSonic is really good too and I'm pretty sure you can find a good 600w PSU for under 70 bucks.

edweennguyen

Reputable
Dec 12, 2014

You probably messed up your PSU.

XFX_Support

Distinguished
Hello Arioly,

Have you tried the Paperclip test on your PSU? Do you hear anything turn on when you power it up? Does the fan spin?

Did you damage the warranty void stickers on your PSU?

If it is a faulty psu, please visit xfxsupport.com and create a ticket. Once we have a ticket, we can help troubleshoot and offer warranty servicing.

XFX Support.

Thanks

Arioly

Reputable
Mar 24, 2014
edweennguyen, the psu was working just fine is it possible it is broken now?

XFX_Support... i have ordered my assembled PC in germany and i couldnt rma it because i live in another country.
Yes i opened the psu myself and damaged the void stickers to oil the psu.
I dont listen absolutely anything when i press the power button.

Arioly

Reputable
Mar 24, 2014
no in fact i was very carefuly. i just barely put one drip of oil it was almost nothing.. i mean i was clean on it. but the psu worked fine 10 days until now that im not sure yet if its a psu problem... even if logicly it seems like it but i never know in the world of computers what can happen. thats why im listening from your advices

edweennguyen

Reputable
Dec 12, 2014

Maybe a faulty PSU, not necessarily when you put the oil in but just in general.

Arioly

Reputable
Mar 24, 2014
yea i think so myself,i dismounted the psu today and am going to do a test tomorrow to be sure if it was a faulty psu. i am a bit worried though if it is a mobo problem also. hope not

edweennguyen

Reputable
Dec 12, 2014

Did you make sure to ground yourself when you oiled the PSU? Maybe you built up static and possible touched a connector on the mobo? It seems problems arose when you opened up the case to oil your PSU. Your PC couldn't have been physically damaged when it was closed. So either it's a problem with your hardware that was always there or something happened when you opened up your chassis.

Arioly

Reputable
Mar 24, 2014
yea i was grounded all the time when i was working on it. and when i press the power none of the lights are shown on the mobo so i guess the mobo is fine. the thing is that no power at all goes to the pc... i was wondering why would this happen 10 days after i oiled the psu fan.. it could just have happened the moment i did my job, closed the case and powered up the pc. my psu is facing downwards so even if the oil was leaking which is not likely because i barely put i drop (barely).. the oil would go down at my desk because the psu is positioned at the botton of the case. all in all since from the bigining i didnt like that psu, making noise and stuff and i will assume it was a faulty psu outside the box. i just couldnt rma it and i opened it myself and maybe damagind it further (still not likely, im not a pc pro but i know what im doing) . anyways gonna test it tomorrow ,if its broken buy a new one and it the pc powers up i will let you know what my problem was because i want to help the community too just like you guys helped me, and i thank you all for that.

edweennguyen

Reputable
Dec 12, 2014

Good luck, remember to always buy a good PSU. It's the heart of the system.

edweennguyen

Reputable
Dec 12, 2014

Good luck, remember to always buy a good PSU. It's the heart of the system.

edweennguyen

Reputable
Dec 12, 2014

Anything that has a good reputation should be fine and 600w is more than enough for your rig. You could possibly upgrade to even 750w for about 10-15 dollars more to completely future proof your computer. I have the Corsair CS750M, a 750w PSU that is gold certified. Its a pretty solid PSU and provides my rig with adequate room for upgrades. If you're on a tight budget, anything by XFX, EVGA, and SeaSonic is really good too and I'm pretty sure you can find a good 600w PSU for under 70 bucks.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS