Nothing happens when i press the power button

Jamok23

Honorable
Dec 26, 2014
Hey guys, so I'm having a problem with my computer. I have been building PCs for years so human error isn't much of a problem,but I won't rule it out.

So I decided to "upgrade" my case, from an h440 to an s340. Most people would see this as a downgrade, but the visuals appeal more to me than the h440.

I swapped all my components over and system booted up first time without any problems, but I noticed that one of the front fans wasn't spinning, so I took my back panel off and started looking around. I have the fan hub from the h440 in my s340 as my motherboard only has 3 fan headers and one is for cpu. So I have 4 fans hooked up to that, all of them have a 5v resistor wired in, just to tone the noise down.

I noticed that one of the wires on the resistor had come loose, so I pushed the wire back in, plugged it back into the fan huh and hit the power button....nothing. the psu made a single click like when the fans start, buthe that's it, no lights, no fans, nothing. So I removed the resistors on the front 2 fans and tried again, same thing, power supply clicks, then nothing. If Icypress the power button again then there is no click. It only clicks after I have turned my pc on at the wall and press the power button.

I have checked all connections and every thing seems fine, so it boils down to faulty motherboard, or faulty psu, (most likely the latter). Surely if it was the motherboard was fault, the lights and fans would still power on as they are connected to molex and completely separate from the motherboard.

So what do you guys think? My psu should still be under warranty, it's an evga 650w g2 gold, I only bought it in october. I don't have another power supply or motherboard to test anything :/

Thanks guys, and any help is appreciated.

Solution
If it was all just working fine are you sure your fan mod isn't shorting something out? Maybe your fan controller board fried? I would disconnect the whole thing and see if it turns on then.

Jamok23

Honorable
Dec 26, 2014
The fan hub is only powered by molex, if that shorted would it stop everything else starting up, as the gpu fans and the cpu fan don't start up either. I'll test it though when I get home, if it is as simple as the hub being fried, I'll actually be happy, I'd rather that be fried and get a fan splitter than for the mobile or psu to go.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Right but based upon your description the PSU clicks and nothing happens. If a connector (like a molex) were shorted it would cause the PSU to not start anything (in theory).

Jamok23

Honorable
Dec 26, 2014
As it turns out, your theory was correct, I'm not sure if it was the hub, or the 3pin to molex adapter used to power it, but one of them short circuited and stopped the pc from turning on. As I don't have a spare 3pin to molex adapter, I'm not able to test, so I just removed the fan hub and I'm using 3 pin splitters to power the fans and everything works now. I never would have thought that would have been the problem, so thank you

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

No problem, glad it worked out!