Nothing new will install after SP2

Since installing Windows XP Service Pack 2, I can not get any program to
install on my computer. This even includes programs from Windows Update. The
programs download just fine, but when I click to Install, the computer just
hangs there saying something about installation intiallizing or starting, but
never goes past there. I have even let it sit overnight with no change, just
in case my computer was slow. My Windows Task Manager says it is Running.
Any ideas? I use Norton Firewall and AntiVirus so have the updated ones on
SP2 disabled.

"Mark55313" wrote:

> Since installing Windows XP Service Pack 2, I can not get any program to
> install on my computer. This even includes programs from Windows Update. The
> programs download just fine, but when I click to Install, the computer just
> hangs there saying something about installation intiallizing or starting, but
> never goes past there. I have even let it sit overnight with no change, just
> in case my computer was slow. My Windows Task Manager says it is Running.
> Any ideas? I use Norton Firewall and AntiVirus so have the updated ones on
> SP2 disabled.

Are there any informational bars at the top of the screen when this happens?
It could be an issue with the popup blocker built into SP2. To turn it off,
go into Internet Options in the Control Panel (will need to go into Network
and InterNet Connections first if you're in Category View), go to Privacy,
uncheck "Block Popups" then hit Apply and OK, and try Windows Updates again.
If that doesn't work and nobody here gcan help you resolve this, you can also
contact SP2 specific support by e-mail, chat, or phone at no charge. All the
details are at
http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?LN=en-us&x=9&y=10&gprid=6794
L8r.