[SOLVED] Nothing on screen with New Ryzen 5 5600x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 14, 2021
I just bought the ryzen 5 5600x and tried to upgrade from the ryzen 5 2600. I did some research the night before and knew I needed a bios update. So I updated the bios using QFlash+ and with the new cpu in the computer starts and runs normally but nothing comes on the screen. I tried putting the old cpu in and the screen comes on and everything works. I looked at the bios and and I am for sure on the latest update. Do I need a new cpu?
Specs: Ryzen 5 5600x, Msi GTX 1080 Armor oc, Corsair Vengence rgb 16gb 3000mhz, Msi B450 Pro Carbon ac

Solution
godsentmyles Your motherboard is running the latest BIOS?
7B85v1F2(Beta version) 2021-02-04
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450-GAMING-PRO-CARBON-AC

Are you running Windows 7 or 10? The fact that your system booted under CSM makes me wonder if your hard drive was partitioned and formatted with MBR, instead of GPT.

mouse: Try switching to mouse to the other USB ports, from USB 3 to USB 2 or vice versa, to fix loss of connectivity.

** notes **
With the old CPU in, verify BIOS shows latest version installed...; while still operational, I'd even consider setting RAM speeds to lower 2133 MHz/default options)

Remove power.

After installing new CPU, pull power, pull BIOS battery, and clear CMOS (jumper or switch, and/or, hold down power switch a few times for 10 seconds with BIOS battery removed), and, then try again.... (might also consider initial power up with just one RAM stick in recommended slot) Naturally, double check for any misaligned/bent pins on 5600X)

Try again....

Mar 14, 2021
With the old CPU in, verify BIOS shows latest version installed...; while still operational, I'd even consider setting RAM speeds to lower 2133 MHz/default options)

Remove power.

After installing new CPU, pull power, pull BIOS battery, and clear CMOS (jumper or switch, and/or, hold down power switch a few times for 10 seconds with BIOS battery removed), and, then try again.... (might also consider initial power up with just one RAM stick in recommended slot) Naturally, double check for any misaligned/bent pins on 5600X)

Try again....
Got it to show bios with the 5600x in through hdmi, but now I can't go past bios, I set up ram and try to save changes and reboot but it goes almost instantly into bios everytime.

godsentmyles Your motherboard is running the latest BIOS?
7B85v1F2(Beta version) 2021-02-04
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450-GAMING-PRO-CARBON-AC

Are you running Windows 7 or 10? The fact that your system booted under CSM makes me wonder if your hard drive was partitioned and formatted with MBR, instead of GPT.

mouse: Try switching to mouse to the other USB ports, from USB 3 to USB 2 or vice versa, to fix loss of connectivity.

** notes **

Solution
Just got past bios by changeing EFEi(or something) to CSM but now the mouse doesn't work, but my keyboard does.
Have you reset CMOS? You have to for the new CPU and BIOS.

I'd suggest taking the battery out and shorting the pins for several minutes just to be sure. Check the manual for location of the CMOS reset pins and be sure to disconnect from power cord from the PSU before opening up the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.