Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

Howdy All,

I've been having problems with my WinXP PC.

I went to look in device manager and no list is generated.

Nothing appears there.

Any ideas why?

Thanks,
Brian

"Brian" <treddderx@yahoo.com> wrote:

|>Howdy All,
|>
|>I've been having problems with my WinXP PC.
|>
|>I went to look in device manager and no list is generated.
|>
|>Nothing appears there.
|>
|>Any ideas why?

Under view in the menu area select devices by type or some other view,
might help.
--

Ten years of the internet http://tinyurl.com/7cjue

Start the Plug and Play service.

Open Services...
Start | Run | Type: services.msc | Click OK |
Scroll down to and double click Plug and Play |
Set Startup type to Automatic | Click Apply | Click the
Start button | When started, close Services

No Items Appear in the Device Manager List When You Open It
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;311504

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:u05vodBoFHA.3256@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
Brian <treddderx@yahoo.com> hunted and pecked:
> Howdy All,
>
> I've been having problems with my WinXP PC.
>
> I went to look in device manager and no list is generated.
>
> Nothing appears there.
>
> Any ideas why?
>
> Thanks,
> Brian

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

thanks Wesley.

After looking in Services, I found that all but 1 of XP services was
disabled!!!!

I have no idea what caused this, I'm investigating now.

> Start the Plug and Play service.
>
> Open Services...
> Start | Run | Type: services.msc | Click OK |
> Scroll down to and double click Plug and Play |
> Set Startup type to Automatic | Click Apply | Click the
> Start button | When started, close Services
>
> No Items Appear in the Device Manager List When You Open It
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;311504
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:u05vodBoFHA.3256@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
> Brian <treddderx@yahoo.com> hunted and pecked:
>> Howdy All,
>>
>> I've been having problems with my WinXP PC.
>>
>> I went to look in device manager and no list is generated.
>>
>> Nothing appears there.
>>
>> Any ideas why?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Brian

kelly

Hi Brian,

I have seen this behavior many times after cleaning nasties (spyware, etc)
from systems. Seems as though having a particular combo, leaves the system
services disabled. During the cleaning of those types of systems, after you
get the services set properly, you will then need to export the key from the
registry to the desktop.

Finish cleaning, reboot. Depending on how good of a job you did all should
be well. If not, run the reg file, then log off.

Good luck and keep us posted.

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"Brian" <treddderx@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> thanks Wesley.
>
> After looking in Services, I found that all but 1 of XP services was
> disabled!!!!
>
> I have no idea what caused this, I'm investigating now.

>> Start the Plug and Play service.
>>
>> Open Services...
>> Start | Run | Type: services.msc | Click OK |
>> Scroll down to and double click Plug and Play |
>> Set Startup type to Automatic | Click Apply | Click the
>> Start button | When started, close Services
>>
>> No Items Appear in the Device Manager List When You Open It
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;311504
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:u05vodBoFHA.3256@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
>> Brian <treddderx@yahoo.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> Howdy All,
>>>
>>> I've been having problems with my WinXP PC.
>>>
>>> I went to look in device manager and no list is generated.
>>>
>>> Nothing appears there.
>>>
>>> Any ideas why?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Brian

quinn

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2004

Kelly -

Can you explain the "export the key from the registry to the desktop" part a
little more? I have the empty device manager problem. Thanks.

- Quinn