Noticeable difference between 8700 and 8700k if not overclocking?

grantling

Honorable
Jun 10, 2012
Buying a new machine for audio and video editing (and some gaming) and I'm thinking of just just ordering a machine from Dell with the following specs instead of building my own:

i7-8700
1060 6gb
32gb DDR4 2666mhz ram

I hate to buy a pre-built, but it's for work mainly and having a warranty is important to me. Main question I have is how much difference would I notice between an 8700k and an 8700, if the clock speeds are 3.7 and 3.2 respectively? A substantial framerate difference in games or a lot longer to render large wav files?

Also, anyone have an XPS desktop? I know the PSUs are pretty weak, but are they reliable?

Thanks!

Solution
the differences are highlighted in blue :https://ark.intel.com/compare/126684,126686
Basically;
The 8700 is a 3.2 to 4.6GHZ (turbo) versus a 3.7 to 4.7 GHZ (turbo)
The 8700 consumes 65W versus the 8700K 95W

will you feel a big difference?, not really, set your 8700 in windows to minimum speed 50% and it will idle at about 4GHZ and turbo will make it go to 4.6ghz. so it will never feel laggy.

Dell will have sufficiently powered Motherboard and psu to run the new 8700.
their XPS series are better powered in PSU than their inspiron series that is for sure.

When TurboBoost is enabled the difference between the 8700k at stock and the plain 8700 isn't very big. The 8700k is slightly better with a 4.7GHz one core turbo vs. 4.6GHz one core turbo on the plain 8700. All core turbo is close with the 8700k having a 4.3GHz all core turbo and the 8700 having a 4.2GHz all core turbo. The only concern is the cooling in the Dell system might not be sufficient to allow these high turbo values and you may wind up closer to the base clocks instead of the turbo clocks. Assuming the 8700 runs at its full TurboBoost values, it is very close to the 8700k at stock and it won't make a perceptible difference.

grantling

Honorable
Jun 10, 2012

Thanks for the detailed response! When you say the Dell might not be sufficient to allow the high turbo boost values, why would that be the case? Does the low watt PSU (460 or something) limit the ability to run turbo boost?

I can build my own if need be, but hoping to do pre-built so I can write it off for work :)

TurboBoost is dependent on power and thermal restrictions. The Dell system might not have the greatest airflow and may have a pretty weak cooler on the CPU which may drive temps high enough that it won't be hitting the full TurboBoost values under heavy load and could operate closer to the base clock. I don't know what the cooling is like specifically with the Dell XPS desktops so it's hard to say. Coffee Lake does drive the TurboBoost values quite high given the core count on offer and temps are likely to be high with weaker cooling as a result.

the differences are highlighted in blue :https://ark.intel.com/compare/126684,126686
Basically;
The 8700 is a 3.2 to 4.6GHZ (turbo) versus a 3.7 to 4.7 GHZ (turbo)
The 8700 consumes 65W versus the 8700K 95W

will you feel a big difference?, not really, set your 8700 in windows to minimum speed 50% and it will idle at about 4GHZ and turbo will make it go to 4.6ghz. so it will never feel laggy.

Dell will have sufficiently powered Motherboard and psu to run the new 8700.
their XPS series are better powered in PSU than their inspiron series that is for sure.

Solution